Talk

Advanced search

Red stemmed cornus

(9 Posts)
flybynight Sun 07-Aug-11 21:28:45

Hi there

I've got a couple of cornus alba sibirica recently (OK, today)- the ones that are red stemmed in winter allegedly. Thing is, at the moment, the stems are definitely light green. Do they colour up as the cold weather comes in? Or have I been sold a pup, as it were? I bought them at an RHS garden, so they should be the right thing. But now they are in the ground, I am doubting.

Anyone know?

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 08-Aug-11 15:38:00

I think you have to prune them to encourage new shoots which start out red. No idea what time of year you're supposed to do that, sorry.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 08-Aug-11 15:41:20

Pruning advice for Cornus .... cut new growth back hard to within 5-7cm (2-3in) from the ground in March...

theyoungone Mon 08-Aug-11 20:01:12

For red and green stemmed cornus, cut each branch down to 2" in February and then every other year after that.

flybynight Mon 08-Aug-11 21:24:50

So. To sum up, the stems will stay green until the new growth after I prune them next Feb? Thats fine. I can live with that.
Thank you!

theyoungone Tue 09-Aug-11 06:54:53

You're very welcome flybynight!
Pruning cornus like I said above will enhance the colour. If you don't prune then the colour will eventually fade, as it's the new stems that have the best colour.

singforsupper Wed 10-Aug-11 15:25:50

Hmmm I'm no expert but I think the stems should be red through the year. You may have a different cultivar.

Best thing to do is pop down the garden centre and compare notes.

flybynight Tue 30-Aug-11 13:29:22

Just an update, in case anyone is interested! The stems have gone red since going in the ground. Very happy with them - they work very nicely with the red hips of the rosa moyesii in front of them.

bumperella Tue 06-Sep-11 14:22:37

They need a bit of sun to go red; mine doesn't get enough so isn't as good as itcould be!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now