Talk

Advanced search

Mushroom Growing Kits - Anyone Tried Them?

(7 Posts)
MagdaMagyarMadam Sun 07-Aug-11 19:25:43

I have been looking at these and wondered are they worth the £10? Do you have to grow them in a dark place? How much do you get from each kit?

I do like the idea of having shiitake and oyster mushrooms on demand.

HoneyPablo Mon 08-Aug-11 08:20:05

I bought a kit once. Nothing happened, even though I followed the vague directions.

MagdaMagyarMadam Mon 08-Aug-11 09:14:32

oh dear Honey, doesn't bode well. The kit I'm looking at is from Suttons Seeds. There are some other sites selling what looks like very complicated methods including logs or wet paperbacks!

Any other experiences out there?

MagdaMagyarMadam Tue 09-Aug-11 12:34:16

anyone?

bethelbeth Thu 11-Aug-11 17:44:30

These folk do good kits

www.amazon.co.uk/Mushroom-Kit-BLUE-GREY-OYSTER-MUSHROOMBOX/dp/B004D337H8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313080911&sr=8-1

The problem with most mushroom kits is that they have sat on a shelf in a shop for god knows how long so the active ingredients that cause spores to grow will have died.

These guys will either send you out a box ready to put together and grow or if you're buying it as a present for somebody who's not likely to start it for a couple of months they will send you the base ingredients and once they're ready to start they email the company to send out the activator.

We have some shiitake and oysters going on at the moment in the utility cupboard. Yum!

mrsbrooks Fri 12-Aug-11 19:53:25

Had a kit and provided one massive mushroom which was delicious but nothing since then - needs to be dark and moist x

Mspontipine Thu 25-Aug-11 01:43:15

grin @ one massive mushroom!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now