Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Bush with Mini Plum Tomato-shaped Berries: Poisonous or Not?

(6 Posts)
BaronessBomburst Sun 07-Aug-11 12:15:10

Does anybody know what this bush is? (Photos on profile) I've googled extensively but can't seem to identify it at all. The problem is that 17 mo DS seems to think that the berries look just like the mini sweet tomatoes we give him and gets very excited when he finds one. DH has removed as many as he can but there are still plenty deep in the bush that we can't reach, and DS finds them when they drop to the ground. I don't want to stop him playing in the garden and so am currently making regular trips outside to collect any drops.

The bush is about 2 meters high, the leaves are dark green and slighty glossy, and the berries are about the size of large grapes, start off white and turn tomato red.

Thank you.

GentleOtter Sun 07-Aug-11 12:18:29

It looks like bittersweet which has poisonous berries.

solanum dulcamara

BaronessBomburst Sun 07-Aug-11 12:34:19

Aah! Thank you, GentleOtter, it could be. We'd discounted bittersweet because of the purple flowers, but one of the pictures you've linked to shows white flowers. The berries are quite oval in shape though - a bit like rosehips.

GentleOtter Sun 07-Aug-11 12:38:26

Please dig the plants up, put them in a plastic bag and burn it.

Birds can eat the berries as the seed passes through their system but if I remember correctly, the seed has a high level of solanine.

BaronessBomburst Sun 07-Aug-11 14:07:22

Why in a plastic bag?

Just googled solanine. I will never eat a green potato again!

GentleOtter Sun 07-Aug-11 21:27:11

Plastic bag so as the berries do not drop everywhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now