Talk

Advanced search

Taking Rose cuttings

(4 Posts)
CaveMum Sat 06-Aug-11 21:27:50

We are moving house next week and I want to take some cuttings from a very old and beautiful rose in the garden of the house we are leaving.

I've bought some rooting powder and have seen a few bits online advising to take cuttings of fresh (this year's) growth of about 25cm, but I'm wondering if anyone has any additional advice?
I'm planning on taking 3 or 4 cuttings, just in case a few don't take.

All help and advice much appreciated!

Henrythehappyhelicopter Sat 06-Aug-11 21:31:03

I have seen my DF do this many times as a child. He would cut the rose stem diagonally, spit on it and them dip it into rooting powder and plant in a disposable coffee cup.

CaveMum Mon 08-Aug-11 08:35:27

Many thanks!

Do I have to use a specific type of compost to plant the cuttings, or is generic compost ok?

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 08-Aug-11 15:36:15

My technique is to take a lively looking piece of the rose, remove the lower side-shoots, rough up the rooting end a little and then suspend in a narrow-necked bottle with some water. When tiny roots appear, transfer to a pot of all-purpose compost and keep damp. Take plenty of cuttings as some will fail.

Caveat.... some roses are grafted onto vigorous root-stock and cuttings from the flowering end of the plant will not be quite so lively as the original.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now