Talk

Advanced search

Help! Something is eating my turnip leaves

(3 Posts)
Kladdkaka Sat 06-Aug-11 18:56:07

I'm a complete novice gardener. At the moment I have 3 raised boxes. The first is spuds, the second is peas and the third is turnips. Next year I will add another so we have carrots too. I move them all along one box each year.

This is my first year of turnips. I'm so chuffed every time something actually comes up. But now something is helping itself to my turnip leaves. The root itself appears fine but the leaves are more hole than leaf. Does it matter? And if so, what should I do?

celeriac Sat 06-Aug-11 22:26:21

Sounds like flea beetle to me. Are there lots of tiny holes? An organic way of getting rid of them is putting some golden syrup on some cardboard and brushing the leaves with one hand while holding the card with the other. Apparantly, the beetles jump up and get stuck. I have never tried this! Normally once the turnips get to a certain size, they are more resistant to the tiny flea beetles and they do not affect the root at all.

Kladdkaka Sat 06-Aug-11 22:37:57

Yes, lots of tiny holes. Will the damaged leaves stop the roots growing? Husband wants to spray with chemicals, but I'd rather not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now