Talk

Advanced search

Monster courgettes

(8 Posts)
Lorelai Fri 05-Aug-11 10:04:44

I've just been out to harvest courgettes for the first time in over a week and they have taken over the garden! The biggest one I have brought in (I left the largest out there just to see how big it will get; it is over 2 feet long already!) is longer than my forearm and wider than it too. Will it taste as nice as a smaller one or do they lose flavour as they get bigger?

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 05-Aug-11 10:25:31

they do lose flavour but they are great stuffed or turned into soup 9though there is only much soup you can eat)
Alternatively, stick a post-it-note on it 'Free To Good Home' and leave it by your garden gate.

AMumInScotland Fri 05-Aug-11 10:42:27

Courgettes are baby marrows, so what you have now are marrows if they have got that big! Much milder flavour than courgettes, but still nice.

Lorelai Fri 05-Aug-11 13:28:37

Oooh, stuffed sounds nice - do you have a recipe?

Otherwise my dad has made marrow chutney before, might see if he wants to try it again smile

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 06-Aug-11 22:10:42

sorry, didnt come back! I just chop in half lenghtways and then into pieces that fit into an oven dish. Scoop out the seeds and fill with a bolognaise sauce. Cover in cheese, foil over the top. Bake for about an hour removing the foil for the last 10 minutes.

Lorelai Wed 10-Aug-11 08:06:45

cool, thanks, will try it soon!

MissFoodie Wed 10-Aug-11 10:46:50

omg am so jealous! have not had a single one out of 5 plants!!!!!
what variety are yours?

Lorelai Wed 10-Aug-11 13:22:49

blush I'm not sure! I know nothing about gardening, just bought a random packet and planted them! If you are in Surrey you are more than welcome to take some off my hands!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now