Talk

Advanced search

How the hell have I ended up with greenfly on my INDOOR plants and how do I get rid of them?

(5 Posts)
peggotty Wed 03-Aug-11 18:30:25

I'm assuming that the chemical type sprays you can buy would be too harsh? They are on some indoor chilli plants, the flowering part of a Venus fly trap and even some bought cut flowers hmm. How did the critters get there, just through an open window or whatever?!

rockinhippy Wed 03-Aug-11 20:14:08

How weird I was just about to post pretty much the self same thing, so will be watching for tips too smile

We have peppers growing in DDs window & they were doing well, but they are now covered in the damned things - aphids that look like greenfly, though as there are a few blackfly around the window too I think they might actually be blackfly

I have been looking out for ladybirds in the hope that putting some of those on the plants, they will eat them all, but not seen a ladybird sincehmmAlso very puzzled as to how they got there, DDs window is kept closed due to noise, so even more of a mysteryconfused

deste Wed 03-Aug-11 21:56:17

Could you take them outside and spray them before taking them back inside.

chixinthestix Wed 03-Aug-11 22:16:50

I have this problem too - I think they just fly in through the open windows - it only takes 1 greenfly to give birth to 1000s of babies. I take my houseplants outside and spray them with the fat based organic spray which isn't harsh at all and makes their leaves nice and shiny - would work on a pepper but I'd avoid getting any on the fruit if poss. Mind you squishing them by hand is very satisfying and quite effective if only 1 or 2 plants..?

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 04-Aug-11 06:45:40

That happened to my windowsill Basil. Think they just fly in, same as other bugs. Treated it successfully with washing up liquid & water in a spray bottle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now