Talk

Advanced search

Moving to a house that only has a patio - what can I buy on a budget that stays green or that flowers all year round?

(7 Posts)
Notalone Sun 31-Jul-11 15:42:19

I am moving to a rented house with a small patio. All the houses surrounding it are very similar and there is very little greenery around which I find quite depressing. I don't have much money nor lots of time but would love to buy some pots of something to cheer the space up. Something green / flowery even in winter and that does not need lots of attention. If anyone can link me to some possibles please that would be fantastic - I am such a novice with this sort of thing. Thanks smile

arfanarf Sun 31-Jul-11 19:52:21

Choisya has lovely bright foliage.
Euonymous has lots of varieties with variegated foliage.
Hypericum (St. John's Wort) flowers in summer.
I also like Winter flowering Jasmine which you can have growing up trellis or trailing over the side of the planter.

piratecat Sun 31-Jul-11 19:53:43

i just bought a Japonica. evergreen and there are different types. hth

piratecat Sun 31-Jul-11 19:56:56

hi, have linked here to a page full of the different ones, tho mine is a Pieris Japonica. They have lovely leaves.

lots of here

Notalone Fri 05-Aug-11 18:34:25

Oooh - lots of lovely colourful choices here. Thanks everyone smile

Oblomov Fri 05-Aug-11 19:43:24

Have nice green choisya bush. Light bright green is fab, totally uplifting.
Am looking with interest at other things I can buy.

mrsbrooks Fri 12-Aug-11 20:19:04

Hibiscus is a lovely flowering shrub for autumn
Piers and euyronimus are definitely great
Put everything in pots
Pittiosporum is a great variegated shrub too and maybe an orimental berry tree in winter

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now