Talk

Advanced search

Tall narrow plant advice

(6 Posts)
Mothergrimm Sat 30-Jul-11 13:00:00

Does anyone have any reccomendations for a tall narrow plant? It needs to grow to at least 5 m but due to space constrictions it musn't get too wide. Also, its going to be next to a garage so highly invasive roots are a no-no. Oh, its for screening due to new house being built behind us. Any ideas would be greatfully accepted!

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 30-Jul-11 13:48:44

One of the more vigorous climbers can be trained and trimmed to the right width. I have a Clematis Montana which regularly gets past the upstairs house windows but only grows as wide as the supporting trellis.

Mothergrimm Sat 30-Jul-11 18:10:31

Guess I should have mentioned it needs to be an unsupported plant, probably more a tree than anything, its not going against a wall.

shoots Sat 30-Jul-11 20:32:39

If it doesn't have to be evergreen there is a variety of Prunus tree called P Amanogawa (Flagpole Cherry) which grows to about 19ft and is very narrow. Roots would not be too invasive either.

Evergreen is a bit more difficult - Conifers have invasive roots but would achieve the height you want and there are lots of hedging plants e.g. Cherry Laurel, Photinia but they will spread too.

Will be interested to see if any other suggestions as have same problem myself and have been searching for a perfect solution for about a year now!

Selks Sat 30-Jul-11 20:41:36

Bamboo.....but choose your type carefully as some are very invasive (some are not). You can plant bamboo in sunken containers and that'll stop the roots from spreading.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 31-Jul-11 13:36:16

If it's not got anything to grow up then try the taller shrubs such as Lilac, Forsythia, Photinia Red Robin, Philadelphus and train them to be narrow by pruning out side-shoots.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now