Talk

Advanced search

Tomato blight, tell me the worst

(6 Posts)
zanz1bar Fri 29-Jul-11 15:48:55

so I think I have tomato blight. The bottom leaves are dying with brown patches but the rest of the plant looks healthy.
Is it really all doom and gloom or can I just throw caution to the wind and ignore it.
Are the fruit no longer edible?

commanderprimate Fri 29-Jul-11 21:27:24

Well, if there's any ripe fruit, pick it immediately, as the blight will continue to progress through it. It's edible, yes, so you might as well give it a chance, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope. Sadly this is when blight normally strikes - just before your crop is ready, buggering it up with manky black patches.

You can treat blight with a couple of things, they won't eradicate it but will slow it, maybe enough to give the toms time to ripen. One is Bordeaux mixture, which is a copper based compound allowed under some circumstances, in organic cultivation (though don't be misled, it is poiso

commanderprimate Fri 29-Jul-11 21:29:46

Sorry, posted too early. ...it is poisonous), the other is a totally chemical control, I'll look it up and post in a sec.

commanderprimate Fri 29-Jul-11 21:37:02

No, can't find it, must have been taken off the market. One thing I should have said - cut off and take away all the affected foliage, burn it if possible. Also try to avoid leaf splash when watering as this spreads the blight pathogen.

zanz1bar Sat 30-Jul-11 19:06:10

Thanks, not good news. Looks like my dreams of just picked sun warmed fruit is dead.

Pkam Sat 30-Jul-11 21:14:20

Mine too. For the second year. Don't think I'll bother next year - too sad. If you have green fruit pick them now make a green tomato chutney. Mine's not reached the fruits yet so I'm holding on but checking them every day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now