Talk

Advanced search

Mushrooms in the lawn

(10 Posts)
beanandspud Mon 25-Jul-11 21:12:40

Help! I suddenly seem to have hundreds of mushrooms growing in the grass around DS's play area. I have tried pulling them out but by the next day they are back.

Does anyone have any idea what I can use to get rid of them? I have been through the racks of weedkillers but can't find anything specifically for mushrooms.

I don't think DS would try to eat them but we have friends coming over at the weekend and I don't like the idea of someone else's child picking them up by accident.

dinkystinky Mon 25-Jul-11 21:16:01

We have them too. The only thing to do is to pull then out (get the roots) as soon as you see them - could be a drainage thing so aerate the lawn plenty and keep pulling them out.

headfairy Mon 25-Jul-11 21:20:21

Hiya, I have puffballs all over my lawn. They're a nightmare because even if you pull them out they have underground root systems called mycelium (sp?) so even if you pull them up they'll come back. There's not a lot you can do I'm afraid apart from I think digging up the whole lawn to a depth of about 5 inches. I've had to make absolutely sure ds knows not to eat anything from the garden without checking with someone first (we have strawberries growing and he's always picking them off so didn't want to rule out eating anything from the garden)

some weed killers can help, and there are professional lawn services that might have stronger weed killers than you can buy over the counter which might help. We use a company called Green Thumb who might be able to help. It only costs £15 four times a year and you could always ask them if they have something that can deal with them.

colditz Mon 25-Jul-11 21:21:20

do you know what sort ofmushrooms they are?

www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/VisualKey_p2.asp

beanandspud Mon 25-Jul-11 21:29:57

Colditz - I'm not sure what they are, it's a bit dark now but I'll go out in the morning with your chart and try to identify them. There are a few different types.

Headfairy - Stupidly I hadn't thought of that. We also use Green Thumb so I can give them a call

beanandspud Mon 25-Jul-11 21:31:35

Sorry - I forgot to say thank you for the quick replies - how very rude blush

headfairy Mon 25-Jul-11 21:32:27

They were a bit doubtful about my puffballs but I've definitely had less this year. Last summer our lawn was covered in them. It might not be the right growing conditions for them but I'm hoping the Green Thumb treatments have at least restricted their growth.

hastingsmum Mon 25-Jul-11 22:19:32

Hi, I just came here to post about the same issue. I put a tent up in our garden a few weeks back and let it stay up for a week in the rain and then suddenly discovered loads of little mushrooms around (and under) one side of the tent.
Obviously the tent is long gone but the mushrooms remain.

The problem is we are renting and are hoping to move away from here this autumn but can't really leave it like this. We only have a tiny bit of lawn (4x6 metres maybe) so digging it up IS an option, the rest of it has become all bumpy with all the dandylions anyway. BUT is there enough time to saw new grass this time of year?

HairBearz Mon 25-Jul-11 22:49:49

We have loads too, haven't noticed them before either.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 26-Jul-11 12:48:01

"I don't like the idea of someone else's child picking them up by accident."

A word of reassurance there. Only a tiny number of mushrooms are very poisonous. A slightly bigger number will make you feel ill if you eat them. Far more are technically edible but will be spat out because they don't taste so good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now