Talk

Advanced search

wasp nest in garden - what do I do?

(10 Posts)
duffybeatmetoit Sun 24-Jul-11 21:03:56

Spotted today lots of wasps coming out of the soil at the foot of a fence. There's not a nest on the other side of the fence so I assume they are in a hole in the soil. They are situated between my toddler's playhouse and swing so I need to do something quickly. How can I get rid of them?

VelveteenRabbit Sun 24-Jul-11 21:07:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bruxeur Sun 24-Jul-11 21:10:31

Poke it with a stick.

Milliways Sun 24-Jul-11 21:11:38

Our council does not do wasps - but we have just paid £48 to a local firm to kill those in the nest in our roof (again! - we get them most years, but I would rather pay someone to come & do it properly).

queenmaeve Mon 25-Jul-11 21:32:34

dh usually throws petrol on and burns them out, but I am not advocating this method!!!

queenmaeve Mon 25-Jul-11 21:33:33

sorry just read your post again, no my method would not work as you'd burn the fence down grin

cuppateaplease Tue 26-Jul-11 08:51:09

B&Q etc sell cans of wasp killer. We have got rid of two nests so far this year - one in the houseroof (which we could easily reach) and one in the shed roof - just spray lots in the hole then run away - fast.

duffybeatmetoit Tue 26-Jul-11 22:42:19

cuppa DH has gone out to B&Q - will definitely take your advice about running away fast grin. Did wonder if squirting and immediately chucking something solid over the hole would be sensible.

MoreBeta Tue 26-Jul-11 22:48:35

Get a can of ant powder and squirt it liberally down and around the hole.

The wasps land and drag it into the hole with them. It kills the nest.

That trick was told to me by a council wasp exterminator as that is all they will do. I have used the method quite a few times and it works. Last time just a few weeks ago on a roof where they were living under the tiles.

duffybeatmetoit Thu 28-Jul-11 21:57:09

Thanks all - we (DH in boiler suit anyway) have squirted the stuff in the hole. Fortunately not pursued by angry wasps. Keep everything crossed for us grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now