Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What to plant now

(5 Posts)
Tia4 Sat 23-Jul-11 06:43:34

Hi everyone, after the advice I was kindly given on here a few weeks ago I have been busy tidying up my borders by shearing all the perennial geraniums and am now left with huge bare patches of soil. Is there something colourful and fast growing that I could plant now for maximum impact?

Thanks, Tia.

HoneyPablo Sat 23-Jul-11 08:13:03

There are still bedding plants in the shops, which will add a bit of colour, but only last till the autumn.
Or you could plant some perenials that will come back next year. It's more expensive initially to do it that way but you don't have to do it again next year.
You could always do a bit of both, plant a couple of perenails this year and fill the rest of the space with bedding plants.
Get yourself off to BandQ, Homebase or your local garden centre for some inspiration for colour schemes.

HoneyPablo Sat 23-Jul-11 08:13:33

Forgot to add my link www.bhg.com/gardening/plant-dictionary/perennial/

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 23-Jul-11 09:11:48

I've had success with late seeded Cosmos. Sprout and raise indoors until they're big enough to go in the borders. They're very tough & flower right until the first wintry weather.

Tia4 Sat 23-Jul-11 09:22:28

Oooh thank you all! I have enough perennials to fill four gardens, all in colours I love, but they are all geraniums so I think I will buy a couple more now which will take over when the June flowering stuff has faded. I had thought that annual bedding plants would be past their prime now but have decided to get out and have a look this weekend. I love Cosmos ... thanks for that!

Have a good weekend, Tia.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now