Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone tell me about apple trees? Which to get/where to buy

(14 Posts)
DitaVonCheese Thu 21-Jul-11 10:55:11

Morning wise MNers smile We're a week away from our fourth wedding anniversary and Wiki tells me that it's fruit/flowers so was thinking of getting DH an apple tree (we are hippy types and he likes the idea of brewing his own cider).

Any suggestions on varieties? I think HFW has some suggestions in one of his books so going to dig that out and have a read. Will also check John Seymour to see if he has anything to say.

If we plant it down the end of the garden, it will be about 20ft away from the house (I think, bit rubbish at distances) - is that far enough away not to cause any problems with foundations etc?

Finally can anyone recommend where to buy? Mail order would be good as DS is due imminently (either 40 weeks today or 40+4 depending on whose dates you go by) which means I'm going to have trouble doing much shopping in the next week and of course DH will be home for the next couple of weeks and a tree is probably quite hard to buy discreetly. Oh, and the getting it in the car issue. Prob don't want to spend more than £30ish.

Ta smile

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 21-Jul-11 11:07:12

www.crocus.co.uk I've always found very reliable on deliveries and very good quality goods. As for variety, if it's going to be by itself then look for a self-pollinator. I'm particularly fond of Cox's varieties because they're very good croppers and the fruit is lovely.

BeeBopBunny Fri 22-Jul-11 11:44:26

Chris Bowers have 20% off until the end of July. I have ordered from them a couple of times and have been pleased both times.

fergoose Fri 22-Jul-11 19:05:11

We bought this one last month for Father's Day - put it in a pot for now, is a good size and very healthy

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Falstaff-Fortune-Idared-Family-apple-tree-M26-/260777139507?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&hash=item3cb7875d33

Takver Fri 22-Jul-11 19:48:23

We've had really good apple trees from the Agroforestry Research Trust - we planted quite a number last winter and their trees were very much better than the others (which came from Deacons nursery, and were ok but haven't taken as well). If you go to the apple section of their plant list and scroll down they have a whole list of cider & juice apples.

I think you'd have to order now for planting in the winter, though - I don't imagine they'd send trees out now as its really not the right time of year for them to establish.

DitaVonCheese Fri 22-Jul-11 20:44:17

Thank you all so much. Yes, it does seem to be much more complicated than I'd anticipated blush with a lot of places only delivering in winter (for bareroot plants) plus the whole tricky pollination issue, which is peeing on my picnic a bit ... hmm

Taffeta Fri 22-Jul-11 20:47:01

Brogdale's the place. I think you can order online. Its in Kent.

MummysTooTightToMention Fri 22-Jul-11 20:47:32

I don't know if they're any good, but today's groupon was for fruit trees i think.

MummysTooTightToMention Fri 22-Jul-11 20:51:55

Oh, just looked and it's a bunch of mini exotic fruit trees, you don't get to pick...

www.groupon.co.uk/deals/national-deal/Gardenin-Express-Fruit-Trees/563002

GnomeDePlume Sun 24-Jul-11 22:55:57

I have bought fruit trees from Deacon's and been very happy with the service. When I want trees to espalier they were very helpful. Right now we have two trees full of fruit so no complaints.

TheDailyWail Mon 25-Jul-11 21:16:09

D'you know that you can buy them in Morrisons for a fiver? I planted a golden delicious (nit what I'd have chosen but that's what you get for sending DH) and it's doing well and we left it unplanted and loved for a few weeks too.

queenmaeve Mon 25-Jul-11 21:31:27

you are fine planting out anything from a tub at any time of year, just make sure you water loads in the summer. if you are planting an apple tree, try and plant it where it will get the morning sun. not essential, but it means any dew will evaporate quickly and you wont get spots on your fruit.

VirgoGrr Wed 27-Jul-11 21:41:05

Absolutely, you'll be fine buying a containerised tree now, it'll just be a bit more expensive than BR/RB and thats not really so much more £ with fruit trees.

DitaVonCheese Thu 28-Jul-11 09:31:49

Thanks so much for all the replies. Really struggling to find many varieties sold in pots so think I'm going to have to go for bare rooted and DH will just have to wait a couple of months! blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now