Talk

Advanced search

Which insect/snail/slug repellent is best?

(6 Posts)
womblesgirl Thu 07-Jul-11 17:58:34

I have just started gardening and have decided to grow a number of herbs outside the back door. The herbs are in individual pots and all bar the chives are doing really well. Tonight I have spotted that the chives are infested with small greenfly like bugs and flies. Can anyone please reccomend an organic, child friendly, animal friendly insect repellent/killer that will get rid of the infestation? Also could anyone reccomend a organic, etc, snail and slug repellent?

Many Thanks

RuthChan Thu 07-Jul-11 18:38:26

To prevent slugs and snails in an eco-friendly way, you can put copper wire rings around the bottom of your plants. They can't cross it.

peggotty Thu 07-Jul-11 18:39:56

I discovered that spraying greenfly with soapy water( like fairy liquid ) will diminish greenfly a lot.

womblesgirl Thu 07-Jul-11 18:44:37

Thank you very much, will try the soapy spray and the copper wire. However does anyone know of a large scale anti slug/snail organic, eco friendly, child and animal friendly remedy?

TheDailyWail Thu 07-Jul-11 18:47:52

Apparently crushed garlic mixed with water and sprayed liberally will fend them off. I have also bought Slug Gone - wool pellets

womblesgirl Thu 07-Jul-11 18:50:35

thank you, will give the garlic a go and then will have a hunt for the wool pellets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now