Talk

Advanced search

hampton court flower show - worth it this year?

(7 Posts)
overthemill Wed 06-Jul-11 11:00:24

has anybody been this year? was it good? any hints and tips about route to take once inside?

I have tickets for tomorrow for the first time in 10 years and first time ever with dh and was really looking forward to it. BUT had minor op last week and feel very under the weather and can't decide whether t's worth the huge slog of going or not. Inspire me!

Lexilicious Wed 06-Jul-11 11:04:12

I am on the train to go there today and will post back later! currently more than half an hour delayed because of SWT not coping with the unfortunatelt common event of a person hit by a train somewhere on their network.

overthemill Wed 06-Jul-11 11:13:49

ooh thanks! have a good time, hope the rain holds off

Lexilicious Wed 06-Jul-11 18:17:10

well it was good, and very tiring - it's huge!! depends what you want from a show whether it's worth it to you though. it is less crowded than Chelsea although there are probably as many people if not more. because it's more spaced out there is more walking, more potential to get lost, and no obvious route around to get a look at it all systematically (I expect that's deliberate).

There are plants for sale as well as tools/gizmos/equipment/furniture/'stuff' and seeds. I've come away with a rambling rose, a Monarda, an oak smoked garlic bulb, a £40 pair of secateurs shock and a subscription to GYO .agazine with a load of freebies. oh and a packet of purple carrot seeds.

the exhibit stands are very good, some utterly fabulous, but I would say it is not that thoughtfully 'curated'. in fact even the commercial stands aren't very well arranged. I actually went to the show intending to buy secateurs and there are four (at least) stands with small tools, which are all far away from each other. There are some avenues of stalls where you think 'ah, this is the outdoor dining patch, then' but then there will be random others in an entirely different zone.

At Chelsea you couldn't round a corner without coming upon meconopsis... here it's agapanthus. Honestly, I never need to see another!

Food pricey but plenty of space to picnic, and plenty of people were doing so.

take cash if you are in a mind to buy things - the wireless machines broke down during the day and so they must have lost some sales (I didn't get the Pimms I was craving!)

I would go again, definitely, but I would go online and research the exhibitors and try to plan a route and give myself a 'nothing but these' shopping list.

overthemill Wed 06-Jul-11 23:11:21

thanks lexi, we are going to go but driving so i can leave when shattered reasonably easily. will concentrate on show gardens i think - we are trying to work out what to do with a huge, overgrown garden that needs a lot of work. need inspiration!
looking forward to it now and need a treat!
love your buys - we will try not to spend too much but probably will, last time i went i spent loads!

Lexilicious Fri 08-Jul-11 13:44:58

So, did you enjoy it? Did you get your inspiration? smile

oldenoughtowearpurple Sat 09-Jul-11 09:06:07

I really enjoyed it this year (went Tuesday). Good arrangement of show gardens, next year will enter by river gate and work up althouhg small gardens at the palace gate were absolutely lovely.

I thought the food was much improved this year: far more quirky independents, shame I didn;t come across the Pie and Chips stand behind the Grow Your Own tent until after I'd had a huge pitta + hummus. Didn't manage a cake and champagne at one of the cake and champagne stalls either.

Came back knackered and happy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now