Talk

Advanced search

Traditional style planters/pots

(10 Posts)
liftthatup Fri 01-Jul-11 15:11:50

Please can an experienced and wise MNer advise me of where to find pots suitable for a patio of a Victorian home. I think I'll need quite a few so the less £ the better! That said, I realise that you get what you pay for and given how my terracotta pots were OBLITERATED last Winter I don't want to make any false economies. Anyhow, all suggestions would be very gratefully received...

cybboid Fri 01-Jul-11 15:18:47

Old chimney stacks? They add height and can be picked up on ebay

liftthatup Fri 01-Jul-11 15:47:34

Like height plan, Thanks! BTW experience not essential- just cheap ideas grin

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 01-Jul-11 19:52:12

Expanding on the chimney pot idea. If you have a reclaim yard anywhere handy you can find all kinds of interesting containers. Old sinks, bathroom porcelain, decorative guttering. Anything glazed should make it through the winter.

Pkam Fri 01-Jul-11 21:06:08

Try car boot sales - reclamation yards are great but the ones around here can be really expensive. I've picked up a few nice pots at car boots.

liftthatup Mon 04-Jul-11 11:47:47

When checking out chimney pots on local Gumtree came across 'bronze' bench and planter. For that read concrete but sort of distressed with black/dull bronzey paint which is much nicer than it sounds! They weigh a ton so £35 well spent. Pkam, you're right! Here in Northern Ireland reclamation yards know they have a limited supply due to small area. Therefore they charge through the nose for EVERYTHING .hmm

QueeferSutherland Wed 06-Jul-11 22:22:16

Have you tried the local dump?

Deux Wed 06-Jul-11 22:32:54

If you buy terracotta, don't buy any pots made in China. UK made pots should be better able to withstand the frosts.

You could buy some cheap plastic troughs etc and spray paint them in a stone effect finish or hammered metal. You could paint some plain terracotta pots with F & B colours but use emulsion not oil based paint. Once these are all a bit weathered they'll look great.

You could try weathering some pots by daubing them with natural live yoghurt and leaving them outside. I have'nt tried this but it's supposed to be very effective.

liftthatup Tue 12-Jul-11 05:41:41

Deux- what a completely brilliant idea! I always thought that plastic pots and troughs looked cheap but had never thought of painting them. Also, what a top idea for an affordable way to introduce F&B!!! My mum had mentioned the yoghurt idea although, like you, I don't think she'd actually done it. Queefer, will send DH to dump- top plan. As you can tell, I can't sleep, walk or drive atm due to sciatica (prolapsed disc). That's why I'm up at this hour...sad

liftthatup Tue 12-Jul-11 05:42:14

Will send DH to dump- that sounds bad!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now