Talk

Advanced search

Can you recommend a nice tree to plant in a corner of a smallish garden?

(9 Posts)
confusedperson Tue 28-Jun-11 21:21:14

Hello, I have a smallish garden, mostly patio, with some shrubs and plants around side fences (rose, peony, magnolia, camelia, conifer, lilac etc.). There is some funny bush in the corner of the garden - green almond shape leaves, yellow flowers in early spring - the shape of if is just so bushy (even when trimmed), and I really don't like it.

I am dreaming about a nice tree in that corner, where we could put a table in the tree's shadow (in years time!) and enjoy summer afternoon. The tree, that doesn't grow too big. I am thinking a maple tree maybe? I don't really have any other ideas... Please help me!

cybboid Tue 28-Jun-11 21:23:26

hither

confusedperson Tue 28-Jun-11 21:30:45

Thanks, really useful link. Although can't decide which one I like most!

glitterkitty Tue 28-Jun-11 21:35:25

Crab apple? Nice flowers in spring, leaves turn red/orange, plus fruit looks nice in autumn?

John Downie or Gorgeous/Red Sentinel are lovely...

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 28-Jun-11 22:05:08

A few years ago my parents planted an Amelanchier to replace a nasty old Sycamore. White flowers in spring/summer, black berries and colourful leaves in the autumn. Reaches 3m tall. It's very graceful.

confusedperson Wed 29-Jun-11 08:38:56

Cogito, thanks for the link, but it seems a bush not a tree?
Researching a crab apple as well..

cuppateaplease Wed 29-Jun-11 09:18:08

A Rowan tree (mountain Ash/Sorbus) is a good tree for gardens. Most are quite compact and also has blossom, berries and good autumn leaf colour

TuttiFrutti Wed 29-Jun-11 12:42:49

No, cogito is right and the amelanchier is the way to go. It is a tree, not a bush. They are amazing - year-round colour of different types and really pretty.

BeeBopBunny Thu 30-Jun-11 13:31:00

Amelanchier, definitely. They are lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now