Talk

Advanced search

Aaagh! Mushrooms in our lawn - what to do??

(7 Posts)
dinkystinky Mon 27-Jun-11 08:46:20

Title says it all really. Had new lawn laid back in May - watered it religiously as instructed and all was fine. Havent bothered watering it during the recent deluges. Went to cut the lawn yesterday and there were about 30 toadstools growing in the lawn. Pulled them out but any idea how to get rid of them without damaging the lawn too (which is otherwise in pretty good nick)?

HollyFP Mon 27-Jun-11 08:47:56

Me too - looking forward to hearing some replies! grin

dinkystinky Mon 27-Jun-11 08:53:31

Glad its not just us being invaded by the fungii HollyFP!

Takver Mon 27-Jun-11 10:19:58

Silly question, but why do you want to get rid of them? They won't harm the lawn, they'll just fruit for a little while and then stop.

If you've got very small children who might eat them could you just make sure that you pull any out?

Personally I rather like fungi of all sorts, and they seem to be fascinating to slightly older children.

AutumnWitch Mon 27-Jun-11 10:24:14

I also had some fungi appear in our new turf. They like damp conditions, and are watered well whilst the turf is being grown and once it's laid. Once you get back to a normal watering regime (relying on the weather in my case) the fungi will usually disappear.

dinkystinky Mon 27-Jun-11 10:45:03

I have a 2 year old who is very likely to try to eat them which is why I want to get rid for good - I've pulled out the ones I've seen but am at work during the week and tehre is a risk that DS2 would try to chomp down on them.

Thanks Autumnwitch - havent been watering the lawn of late so hopefully they'll dry out.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 27-Jun-11 12:33:48

Very few fungi are poisonous. A few will give you a tummy ache. Quite a lot of what we call 'toadstools' are edible. Most don't look/taste all that appealing. What shape are they?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now