Talk

Advanced search

Please can someone recommend me a cheap electric lawnmower for a tiny garden?

(8 Posts)
SoftKittyWarmKitty Sat 25-Jun-11 19:52:22

At the moment I borrow my parents' pretty old Flymo mower but find it's like a tank to push and to be fair it's about time I bought my own! I've got a tiny garden (terraced house), a tiny budget and no idea where to start looking. Any suggestions?

SuePurblybilt Sat 25-Jun-11 19:58:21

I have a second hand Flymo and a big garden, I find it fine. B&Q were offering a mower and strimmer for £40 in the paper last week - have you tried the DIY chains?
Is it a really small space? I had an old push mower (£5 from tip) for my old, postage stamp lawn. CHeap, tiny to store and free to run! I think Nigel's Eco Store still do them, will go goggle.

SuePurblybilt Sat 25-Jun-11 20:00:22

here

More expensive than I thought! But I think you'd find one second-hand easily - I always see them at auctions, car boots, the tip etc. And it would save energy.....

SoftKittyWarmKitty Sat 25-Jun-11 20:24:19

Thanks Sue, although it's really small I don't think I could cope with a push mower - I just know it would sit in the shed and I'd never use it. Will check out the chain stores and the local Free Ads paper for second hand ones.

SuePurblybilt Sat 25-Jun-11 20:40:47

No bother smile. Maybe ask on freecycle too?

faffaround Sun 26-Jun-11 18:04:03

bit late in the day - don't dismiss push mowers. After years of grappling with wires and grass boxes I've switched to a push-along for our postage-stamped size lawn. It has transformed my attitude to cutting the grass. Takes five minutes and is by no means difficult to push - I have the strength of a gnat and I can do it. Got ours from Lidl of all places (was around £37)

Mspontipine Mon 27-Jun-11 00:19:11

I've got a push one - one of these

It's dead light to push and so much easier than faffing around with wires etc.

Buy one!!!

SoftKittyWarmKitty Wed 29-Jun-11 23:57:08

Seriously?! Are push ones not just ever so slightly 70's?! On a serious note, I'm assuming they don't collect the clippings, so do you just rake those up after?

I get the Lidl and Aldi emails, so will keep an eye out, or maybe go on Freecycle to see if I can get hold of one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now