Talk

Advanced search

When do I know when my vegetables are ready to harvest?

(6 Posts)
purepurple Sat 25-Jun-11 09:33:52

I have planted lots of veg. When do I harvest potatoes, onions, shallots and carrots?
I can see that my lettuces are ready and my tomatoes are still green but how do I know when the veg growing in the ground is ready.
Any advice for a novive would be very much appreciated.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 25-Jun-11 12:12:03

Potatoes are usually ready when the greenery starts to wilt and turn yellow. Underground veggies bit more difficult but you can always scrape away a bit of soil to judge how good they look at the top. Carrots with a nice wide-looking top, for example, are good to lift. Don't let things 'bolt' i.e. start making flowers.

IslaValargeone Sat 25-Jun-11 12:14:16

My potatoes have started to flower but the leaves aren't as you describe, I like purepurple am a veggie virgin, so have no idea what to do.

purepurple Sat 25-Jun-11 12:26:54

The potatoes are not flowering but are still very green-looking, so I think I might leave them a bit longer.

Pigsinblankets Sat 25-Jun-11 12:43:07

I harvest my spuds once the flowers have died off.

Meglet Sat 25-Jun-11 12:45:18

I think onions are ready when the tops start to go brown.

I lifted a couple of onions this week to be nosey and they were the size of marbles. Last year they were ready in Sept.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now