Talk

Advanced search

I seem to have a infestation of bugs in my veg patch (courgettes and pumkins most effected)

(9 Posts)
Marne Thu 23-Jun-11 13:17:33

How can i get rid of these bugs? sad, just went to pick veg and my pumpkins have flowered but the flowers are full of tiny black beetles which seem to be munching on the plant and my other veg. Is there anything i can spray them with thats not poisonous to dd2 if she goes picking my veg?

WowOoo Thu 23-Jun-11 13:19:45

Sure you can get osme stuff that's specifically for edible plants.
Tried soapy water?
At least you can wash them off but you need to get rid of them or you won't have anything to eat.
Can you wipe them off and crush em with a tissue in your hand? Or are there too many?

WowOoo Thu 23-Jun-11 13:20:15

'osme stuff' No this isn't a brand....meant some stuff.

Marne Thu 23-Jun-11 13:21:09

There are 100's (never seen so many iin one place), will try soapy water, if not i will pop in the garden center and get something.

GnomeDePlume Thu 23-Jun-11 15:28:00

Sounds like thunder flies. Garlic is a repellant.

nickelbabe Thu 23-Jun-11 15:39:41

soapy water is good.

do yo uhave a picture?
and how big is tiny?

you should get some ladybirds...

Marne Thu 23-Jun-11 18:29:00

Have washed some away with soapy water, will try and get a picture tomorrow if they are still there, they look slightly bigger than thunder flies, they seem to be setting up home within the flowers and munching on a few leafs smile.

Last year we had 100's of ladybirds but havn't seen any this year (just 100's or earwigs).

EggyAllenPoe Thu 23-Jun-11 18:30:59

i saw this title and clicked on it expecting to find a ....less salubrious topic.

you know, something mettyforrical

SuePurblybilt Thu 23-Jun-11 18:31:49

I've forgotten what they're called, I had them last year on every yellow flowering plant (if they're the same thing). Sent all my courgette flowers mouldy sad. Soapy water didn't work for me, I picked off the flowers that were covered and smooshed them.

It's a weird year for bugs. I have plants covered in a grey, mouldy looking aphid I've not seen before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now