Talk

Advanced search

anyone successfully find a gardener who knows more than how to work a lawn mower but who won't want to do a fancy-pants design and then abandon me

(6 Posts)
hatwoman Mon 20-Jun-11 20:18:25

I have just moved and am feeling completely overwhelmed by the garden - I need help. I don't want designery-type help - nor do I want someone who just mows and weeds. I'd like someone who I can work with - who can give me ideas, who can suggest new plants - and plant some of them - but not take over. I'd like someone who knows how, and when, to prune, cut back, feed etc - but who's happy to let me do it too - (I can't afford to pay them to do the lot anyway) and who's also happy to help me keep on top of weeding.

Has anyone successfully found a gardener like this? how did you suss if they were right? did you kind of interview them? did you ask several to come round and talk to you and then chose one?

whomovedmychocolate Mon 20-Jun-11 21:44:50

We found ours in the pub. He's 70.

I suggest you find the village gossip and ask them who they would suggest. The word will get out, and hopefully someone will find you. smile

hatwoman Mon 20-Jun-11 21:53:27

good point. my neighbours sent theirs round - but warned me that he'll only do what you tell him. I need more than that.

have you moved recently? away from the bats and the thatch? (or am I confusing my mners?)

whomovedmychocolate Mon 20-Jun-11 21:58:35

Not quite yet - couple of weeks yet. But yes we are moving. And I'll then need a new flipping gardener.

prettywhiteguitar Thu 23-Jun-11 17:12:58

if i were you i would call the local horticulture college, they will either know some gardeners or very good students

or else advertise and interview, if they know plants then they will be able to do what you have described

don't feel bad for asking for what you want ! they are the ones getting paid to do it

ApuskiDusky Thu 23-Jun-11 17:24:19

I posted a job on ratedpeople.com, and three people pitched for it. When the lady who we chose came round, I said that we were thinking about getting 'this plant', pointing to a neighbour's that was overhanging - she immediately knew what it was, so that gave us a bit of confidence. And she was able to talk about what kind of plants she would suggest and why. Plus her website wasn't all about garden design, there was more emphasis on clearance, maintenance and 'no job too small'.

Otherwise I'd go and chat to a local nursery - one of the ones that supplies to trade and public. They may offer gardening services themselves (less likely for ongoing maintenance), but they typically know all the local gardeners.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now