Talk

Advanced search

Raspberry advice please

(8 Posts)
inthesticks Fri 17-Jun-11 17:26:28

I planted some raspberry canes last year and they have grown abundantly.
I failed to net so the birds have taken most of the fruit, I'll learn from that next year.
I'm wondering what to do about all the new growth. Should I thin it out? Or maybe just remove the older wood as you do for blackcurrants.

Chaotica Fri 17-Jun-11 17:29:32

Remove the old branches which had fruit on. Do not remove the younger growth as they fruit next year. If it makes you feel better, you're not supposed to pick the fruit for the first year or two while the roots get established (like, right... hmm).

You're supposed to tied the canes to bamboo too a bit off the ground but you'd have to look that up.

inthesticks Sat 18-Jun-11 09:38:50

Thanks Chaotica. It wouldn't be a huge crop even if the birds hadn't taken their share so no harm done.

Hippee Sun 26-Jun-11 19:05:46

We have autumn raspberries which fruit later and don't seem as bothered by the birds (perhaps because there's plenty of other stuff available). With them you cut them right back to ground level every year. If you're anywhere near Harrogate I can let you have a few canes.

UptoapointLordCopper Tue 28-Jun-11 13:26:40

We have two raspberries this year. hmm

Does anyone know if I can grow raspberries on a small (1m by 1m) raised bed? Say, along one edge?

slug Tue 28-Jun-11 14:20:52

Short answer is yes. We grew them along the fence line for years and years. In our family picking raspberries with dad (and in later years, grandad) was a right of toddlerhood.

UptoapointLordCopper Wed 29-Jun-11 20:58:12

Thanks! We'll try it for next year.

pourmeanotherglass Thu 07-Jul-11 16:46:47

We have some autumn raspberries in a small raised bed (against the trellis, around 125cm by 60cm). No fruit yet but quite a few flowers so looking promising. I've read that autumn ones are better in a small space. I haven't netted them yet, I'm waiting for the blueberries to finish fruiting so I can move the net from those. Do anyone else grow autumn raspberries? do you find (like Hippee) that they don't need netting, or do they get eaten?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now