Talk

Advanced search

Best flowers for windowbox

(5 Posts)
clare8allthepies Thu 16-Jun-11 14:41:51

Hi, I've recently been growing some herbs in a window box indoors and amazingly they haven't died yet. I've gone and bought another planter which I would like to put on my front room windowsill (no garden) and grow some flowers in.
Could anyone recommend which flowers to grow that will live for quite a while, and be relatively easy to look after that are suitable for growing inside.
Thanks in advance, Clare x

rockinhippy Thu 16-Jun-11 21:47:10

Petunias are pretty fool proof - trust me I'm no gardener & they do fine for me - even indoors - are beautiful & they last for ages & can be amazing as several colour flowers on one plant -

chixinthestix Thu 16-Jun-11 22:04:49

I've had 4 pots of pelargoniums (geraniums but not the hardy garden ones, the sort you get as summer bedding plants) on my kitchen window sill for 4 years now. They have flowered almost non stop for all that time and I love them, they are really bright and cheerful and have a lovely, warm, greenhousey smell. They get baked by the sun as the room faces south but I water them a couple of times a week and cut the dead flowers off and they keep on going.
Everyone who visits admires them.

GeorgeEliot Sat 18-Jun-11 15:30:43

pansies - come in huge array of colours. keep deadheading and they will flower all summer long.

cuppateaplease Sun 19-Jun-11 07:48:06

I would agree with chix and go for pelargoniums for indoors. They are really easy to look after and very forgiving if neglected - will last for years, flower repeatedly, and when they do look a bit straggly will root easily from cuttings to provide new fresh plants.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: