Talk

Advanced search

How do I know if the cherries on my tree are edible or not?

(8 Posts)
IHeartKingThistle Mon 13-Jun-11 16:18:24

Without eating them, I mean!

I posted about my cherry tree earlier in the year when it produced two different colours of blossom - here's the next installment! So now it is covered in fruit, smallish cherries but they are ripening to dark red. They look like smaller versions of cherries from the supermarket.

Could it be an eating cherry or is it wishful thinking, do you think? My dad says don't eat them.

Grumpla Mon 13-Jun-11 20:44:26

Go on have a nibble! Won't hurt you surely smile

PaisleyLeaf Mon 13-Jun-11 22:42:47

It's be a shame not to try one wouldn't it?
Also, if it doesn't taste so sweet, don't forget you can also get more sour varieties for cooking.

IHeartKingThistle Mon 13-Jun-11 22:56:57

I didn't know that - OK I am going to try one tomorrow and report back. If I don't it has killed me and you two will have to live with it! wink

Grumpla Wed 15-Jun-11 08:14:44

Oh dear. Are you poisoned?

sybilvimes Wed 15-Jun-11 09:57:49

I have a cherry tree like this as well so interested to know if Iheart is still alive. Mine is a weeping cherry which is covered in lovely bright red fruit.

Are cherries ever poisonous? I am a bit scared to try them I have to admit.

HairyWoman Wed 15-Jun-11 15:03:37

I tried mine a few years ago -smallish cherries dark red/almost black when ripe - they were quite tasty. Discovered they weren't eating cherries when got stomach gripes later that day (bit like when you eat a cooking apple). I now use them to make cherry pies, jam etc and no problems. would like to know what they are tho, whether sour cherries etc

IHeartKingThistle Wed 15-Jun-11 17:38:59

Not dead! I tried one, it was nice! Slightly more sour than bought ones, so I wouldn't eat a bowl of them, but I bet they'd make great jam. Sorry to keep you in suspense!

Thanks for the responses!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now