Talk

Advanced search

Please talk to me about rambling roses

(15 Posts)
OTheHugeManatee Wed 08-Jun-11 11:41:24

I'm hankering for a rambling rose. The thing is, I will most likely be moving within the next 2 years (rented house, planning to buy with DP in the nearish future) so would like to start one in a container + trellis so I can take it with me when I go.

Can anyone tell me whether this is feasible? I'd love a variety with the potential to spread a long way, but am nervous about a potted rose that'll either get rootbound too quickly or else will grow too quickly for a medium-sized container (eg ceramic tub about 2ft diameter) and supporting trellis.

If that doesn't sound too bonkers, can any rose aficionadas advise me on a variety (ideally scented) that isn't too disease-prone and so might safe with a novice rose-grower? My garden is reasonably sunny in the patch where I'd keep it for now.

TIA smile

strawberryjelly Wed 08-Jun-11 11:53:26

it's not a great idea TBH.
A rambler can easily gow to 12 feet or more quite quickly. I have Albertine against a pergola and it is very high. itis a hardy rose though and worth looking at.
You would have to prune it hard when you moved.

best advice i can give you is look online at David Austins roses, or harkness roses and their info should help you choose.

OTheHugeManatee Wed 08-Jun-11 12:02:47

How quickly did your Albertine rose grow? If I were to buy a potted rose to plant this summer/autumn, would it rocket up to 10+ feet within, say, a year and a half?

strawberryjelly Wed 08-Jun-11 15:29:53

yes i think it would if you give it sun and manure.

OTheHugeManatee Wed 08-Jun-11 15:31:54

Yikes shock

Perhaps better to wait until I have my fantasy country cottage with trellis then grin

OTheHugeManatee Wed 08-Jun-11 15:41:31

Oh and thanks as well for the David Austin link - that's massively helpful as they give lots of info about the types of rose. Looking at the different varieties, I might be able to get away with a short climber + trellis at least in the short term <hopeful>

occasionalposter Wed 08-Jun-11 19:00:27

My favourite rambler is Buff Beauty. Given time and space it will grow quite large, but not overwhelming. It is easy to grow and disease resistant. I had one in a pot for three years and it flowered quite nicely (I have now moved it on into the garden border).

missinglalaland Wed 08-Jun-11 19:16:50

We have three rambling roses. They are beasts! They are only three years old and my husband has been hacking them back valiantly for the last two years. They have bloomed prolifically all through this drought we've been having in the Southeast.

I guess, I am saying that I would go ahead and plant it directly into the ground right now. You might get a bit from it this summer, and you will definitely have enough growth and flowers to enjoy next summer before you move. They don't cost so much so it's not the end of the world to leave it behind and it might just make someone fall in love with your home when you go to sell.

Here is the phone number for the David Austin Roses Customer Service team
01902 376300
They are super knowledgable and very friendly.

strawberryjelly Wed 08-Jun-11 19:54:15

occasional I've got Buff Beauty but wouldn't call it a rambler. it's a shrub rose and is in a deep border. It is now about 6 feet wide and five feet high and grows like mad every year. I don't know how it fits into your pot!

OTheHugeManatee Wed 08-Jun-11 22:28:15

Hmm, so my options are:

1) Buy a smaller rose for a container
2) Don't buy any roses, wait till I move
3) Buy the most rampant rambler I can find, plant it in the ground, gorge it on manure and whisper sweet nothings in its ear so it goes mad and smothers my kitchen window within a year.

Hmm...

<drums fingers>

Anyone got tips for a really vigorous climber? grin

missinglalaland Thu 09-Jun-11 10:15:42

Paul's Himalayan Musk is very vigorous- you'll want to move after two years as it will already be getting out of hand! lol

We planted Albertine three years ago. It is very full and vigorous now. It was full an "blouse-y" in second summer, too. Wish I could attach a picture for you of year 2.

missinglalaland Thu 09-Jun-11 10:21:18

Oh, meant to add that we also have Alberic Barbier. It grew more quickly, but the growth is more spindly, and I don't think the blooms are as lush, but it's still a rose and still pretty.

occasionalposter Thu 09-Jun-11 22:47:47

Well, if we are talking climbers - Climbing Etoile d'hollande (sp?) is lovely - it grows fast and flowers well even when young and has the most beautiful dark red perfumed flowers....

PS Strawberry - you may be right about Buff Beauty being a large shrub but I have grown it over a trellis and arched pergola before. I think it stayed small in the pot because of the restricted root run (and lack of nutrients!)

OTheHugeManatee Fri 10-Jun-11 14:38:19

<scribbles notes>

occasionalposter Fri 10-Jun-11 22:33:13

If your kitchen window faces north Mme Alfred Carriere is reliable and disease resistant. It is also white tinted pink and has a lovely scent. I'm not sure how fast it will grow because I only planted mine last autumn!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now