Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Year round bulbs that flower year after year

(5 Posts)
BsshBossh Wed 08-Jun-11 10:46:10

Hello. I have some space in my garden to plant new flowers/plants but want it to comprise completely of bulbs - summer, autumn, winter, spring bulbs. But also I want them to be the kind of bulbs that come up year after year without needing to be uprooted and stored in the greenhouse but can stay in the soil even in winter.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of robust bulbs that will stay in soil and flower year after year? I know of the alliums for Summer that can stay in the ground but any others?

strawberryjelly Wed 08-Jun-11 11:56:49

all bulbs can and should stay inthe ground. Tulips can be lifted and stored but will survive inthe ground- usually.

You can do all the usual- daffs, crocus, grape hyacinth ( muscari), anemone, lily of the valley, lilies, autumn crocus,

have a look at the website Crocus- lots of lovely stuff and info.

BsshBossh Wed 08-Jun-11 19:51:11

Thank you for the ideas and websitesmile. I'll leave my tulips in next year too!

plipplops Fri 17-Jun-11 16:41:43

I got some alliums free in a magazine, the two that have come up are amazing! Not sure what happened to the other 8, can't remember where I put them though... Also I have lilies in pots (they're red and orange but no idea what type), they come up every year and have multiplied beautifully.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 20-Jun-11 14:06:13

Another vote for alliums. Check out Crocosmia, Irises, Alstroemeria and Lilies for summer colour. And you could also try the more robust tubers like Dahlias and Paeonies. Provided your ground is free-draining and reasonably sheltered, they'll probably be OK left in the ground.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now