Talk

Advanced search

Are you watering your plants in this weather?

(4 Posts)
BsshBossh Wed 08-Jun-11 10:38:22

Crazy question of the week alert, but here in London there is a constant threat of rain at the moment - sometimes we have a shower and sometimes the clouds look ominous and the forecast says rain later and then it doesn't rain. My routine is to water the plants (roses and hanging basket in the front, mix of flowers and veg in the back) every morning before I go to work. The soil looks dark (=moist) but I know when I dig weeds in the weekend that the soil is often bone dry beneath the moist surface.

Perhaps I should just do a light watering every other day regardless of whether it will rain or not.

How often are you all watering in this uncertain weather?

strawberryjelly Wed 08-Jun-11 19:57:19

I haven't watered at all but started to at the weekend a even some shrubs such as my huge Mahonia started losing leaves.

You should water for no les than an hour each time and a sprinkling can be harmful- the roots come up to seek the water- so infrequent longer soaks are better.

BsshBossh Wed 08-Jun-11 22:12:32

An hour each time? Oh my goodness, then I'm definitely underwatering. Okay, infrequent but longer soaks are my mission once the rain clears. Thanks again for the advice.

BsshBossh Wed 08-Jun-11 22:13:38

By the way, does the same "infrequent but long soaks" also apply to my rose bushes? My DH and mum think roses need infrequent and shallow soaks, iyswim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now