Talk

Advanced search

Help needed-buddleias

(8 Posts)
MavisEnderby Wed 08-Jun-11 01:45:34

Think spelling is right!

I love these,they smell lovely,attract the butterflies and arfe pretty.My mum says they grow in most conditions,but can get a bit wayward.

I have a rather dark corner of my garden.I want to plant one in memory of dp (almost a year since he died) but don't want it to overrun the garden,so my question is,is there such a thing as a "dwarf" variety?One that would not take over the garden?and if so where can I get one???

Many thankssmile

cuppateaplease Wed 08-Jun-11 09:38:23

thompson & morgan have developed dwarf buddleias -called Buzz - but these are more for pots or v small gardens. Have recently bought 3 - one of each colour - but too early to tell how big they will get.
however regular pruning of normal buddlieas will keep them contained - they can be cut back each spring - although still expect them to put on about 6 foot of growth each year. They can give a spectacular show of flowers and the butterflies love them.
However a dark corner won't get the best out of the buddleia - the plant and the butterflies will much prefer a sunnier position.
sorry to hear about DP - did he particlularly like buddleias/butterflies?

MavisEnderby Wed 08-Jun-11 20:18:44

Thanks cuppa.He was a keen gardener and spent time in the garden.Its me that is the butterfly fan smile

Our normal one does pretty well against a north facing 6' fence, I cut it back hard every spring and it grows up into branches about 8' high every year, covered in flowers, lovely. Doesn't get any "wider" particularly, takes up less than a metre of border at it's biggest. The main thing is the spring pruning, sounds as though it would be a lovely memorial.

Carrotsandcelery Wed 08-Jun-11 20:52:21

We have one and cut it back hard every year too - that keeps it growing thick and bushy rather than tall and straggly too I think. I it doesn't overrun our garden at all.

Ours is on a mainly sunny border though.

AMumInScotland Wed 08-Jun-11 20:57:53

We put in a "Pixie Blue" Buddleia last suimmer link here - it is meant to stop at 4ft wide and 4ft high, without having to be cut back. I can't promise it really stays that small as we haven't had it long enough, but it looks good do far.

MavisEnderby Wed 08-Jun-11 20:59:06

Thankssmile

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Sat 11-Jun-11 22:25:39

I remember your earlier thread, Mavis, about knocking the garden into shape. How are you doing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now