Talk

Advanced search

Question about waste carriers certificate

(5 Posts)
AchtungBaby Mon 06-Jun-11 20:27:04

I've just got the 3rd (and final) quote for a tidy-up of my unkempt garden blush.

Gardener # 1:
2x men, 'all day'
£200
Mentioned something about a 1 ton bag for waste.

Gardener # 2:
2x men, 3x hours
£100
Asked if he could use our brown bin, and said that he would take the rest away.

Gardener # 3:
£120
Mentioned the possibility of a skip, then decided it would fit in his lorry thing.

The advert for Gardener # 3 states that he has a waste carriers certificate, and he said that if he didn't have one, and he took my garden waste away, both he and I would be committing an offence.

The adverts for Gardeners # 1 and 2 don't mention a waste carriers certificate. So, is the onus really on me to check that they have one?

I was quite keen on Gardener # 2, but now I worry that he's under-estimated the amount of waste, and that it'll turn out to be a hassle. I'm also worried about the waste carriers certificate issue. I'm now quite keen on Gardener # 3. Gardener # 1 is clearly a cowboy (and called me 'Love').

cuppateaplease Tue 07-Jun-11 10:01:36

I'd go with gardener 3.
A brown bin will not make a dent in the waste generated by 2 men in 3 hours! so there will still be loads to take away and what was gardener 1 going to do with the ton bag? I could easily fill a ton bag in a couple of hours or less when clearing our garden.
The licence gives you confidence that he will be disposing of the waste correctly and not just dumping it somewhare.
If someone is transporting building rubble for you then they definitely need a waste licence from the environment agency but I think the garden rubbish is not as clear but there have been prosecutions/fines given. Think it's to do with the fact you are paying him to take away your waste. The EA web site may have more details or someone may come on with more knowledge!

cuppateaplease Tue 07-Jun-11 10:15:10

Umm.................. before i offend all those gardeners without licences - i didn't mean that they WOULD just dump the waste just that the licence gives you more confidence
umm........er..............

AchtungBaby Tue 07-Jun-11 13:07:51

I think you're right cuppateaplease, thanks.

Rubbishremover Mon 20-Jun-11 23:54:43

Hi there,

I am a Licensed Waste Carrier who regularly undertakes garden clearances in London and Kent.

Whoever you choose to undertake your project must have a Waste Carriers Licence if they are "making money" from removing it ( i;e not a charity or similar body )

Without stating the obvious I would agree set hours that any of your Guys work and confirm their quote is "fully inclusive" so no hidden extras such as "tipping fees" or "labour supplements" which many companies try to sneak in ! :-(

Always a good idea to seek out testimonials from former Customers or current regular Customers ( particularly any businesses )

I hope this helps and good luck !

Feel free to give me a shout if you have any problems !

Martin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now