Talk

Advanced search

Verbena - alive in front garden, dead in back garden...

(17 Posts)
GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 05-Jun-11 18:49:26

Does anyone know if verbena is killed off by frost/snow? The ones in the front are back as they always are, the ones in the back, which were in pots, aren't. Could the winter have done 'em in?
Thanks
GerryMumsnet

AgonyBeetle Sun 05-Jun-11 18:50:51

Lemon verbena (the herby one that looks like mint), or verbena bonariensis (the tall one with purple flowers)?

Plants in pots always more vulnerable to frost, so yes it's possible.

AlsoAvailableSober Sun 05-Jun-11 18:51:04

I have lost 2 in 2 years to frost/snow. Both in pots. Should have taken it in the second time round <slaps head>

AlsoAvailableSober Sun 05-Jun-11 18:51:51

Mine were lemon verbena btw to put in Pimms

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 05-Jun-11 18:55:27

Bonariensis.

Had lemon verbena in pot too - it also seems to have gone to the great compost heap in the sky.

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 05-Jun-11 18:59:07

Another (related) question - can you take cuttings from bonariensis or is only seeds? TIA.

ChristinedePizan Sun 05-Jun-11 19:01:32

I've never tried to take cuttings but you can divide them (not now though, bit late in the season)

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 05-Jun-11 19:02:54

thanks very much smile

WorzselMummage Sun 05-Jun-11 19:03:39

Bonariensis are not supposed to be hardy but half of mine are alive and the other half are dead, in the same border!

Maybe the cold snap took out the weakings.

QuintessentialOldMoo Sun 05-Jun-11 19:06:34

The soil in pots will freeze. The soil in the ground wont, unless you are in the arctic, like me, where any gardening is a challenge.

I have issues with some tibetan and himalayan bulbs..... angry They ROT, as our climate is freezing cold, but much wetter than the dry Himalayan mountains.

So, be happy about your verbenas, because at least you can grow them in your climate.

<stomps foot>

ChasingSquirrels Sun 05-Jun-11 19:09:14

my mum took cuttings over the last year - stuck the cuttings in water, they rooted and sprouted, took cuttings off the top of the cuttings, etc. Ended up with 20 of them. So - yes, cuttings seem to work well.

highriggs Sun 05-Jun-11 19:36:55

try lemon balm instead as very hardy and is lovely in a gin and tonic

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 05-Jun-11 19:46:39

Oh that's interesting. OK, will try to take some cuttings. Do you know when your mum took the cuttings? And also interesting Worzel that some of yours lived.

I won't put any more in pots, but will bung any ones in borders. Thanks again.

AgonyBeetle Sun 05-Jun-11 19:46:55

Have you tried cutting them back hard and being very nice to them? Ours are coming back (in flowerbeds) but there's a garden round the corner where they're all in full bloom. Am quite tempted to knock on the door and ask how they did it.

If you want to protect plants in pots you can wrap fleece or newspaper round the pots, which can help, or just bring them in.

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 05-Jun-11 19:47:11

Any NEW ones.

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 05-Jun-11 19:51:01

Yes, tried cutting them back hard, but hasn't worked. And yes, will get my act together re fleece etc next winter, if it's as harsh as last two.

ChasingSquirrels Mon 06-Jun-11 17:42:24

she probably took the first cuttings towards the end of last summer, and then took the cutting off the cuttings over the winter/spring - she had them on her window sill just in a pot of water.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now