Talk

Advanced search

hello, I don't do gardening and it seems I have done something stupid, your advice please. :-)

(15 Posts)
Megglevache Fri 03-Jun-11 20:14:30

I had a bamboo in a pot that was looking a bit sorry for itself and I chucked the pot and planted it straight into the bed- a month on and it is thriving and growing like I have fingers dusted with bonemeal grin

Just about everyone thinks I am mad but they are family and old people, they are wrong aren't they? [hopeful] blush

I don't have grass my garden is all paved over bar two beds that are so dull I needed some green.

This bamboo surely won't take over my whole garden will it?

<<waits for clever gardener types that I can trust will not wind me up like family have the last week or so>>

melezka Fri 03-Jun-11 20:16:08

Depends on the bamboo!

You can eat the shoots though. Tell your family you are making a monoculture allotment grin

Megglevache Fri 03-Jun-11 20:18:34

can you???

I think its a Aurea (sp??)bamboo, yes sure it is.

coffeewhitenosugar Fri 03-Jun-11 20:21:43

Get a panda as quick as you can grin

Megglevache Fri 03-Jun-11 20:24:39

gahhhh grin

melezka Fri 03-Jun-11 20:25:04

Yep, the young shoots are edible. It shouldn't be tooooo much of a problem in the UK i don't think. Nice plant.

Megglevache Fri 03-Jun-11 20:29:17

phew...ok will look into munching the shoots. grin

supadupapupascupa Fri 03-Jun-11 20:31:19

erm. i think you need to be careful....

melezka Fri 03-Jun-11 21:05:21

Check out forest gardening. I don't think you can just pick 'em and munch...

Lauracorin Fri 03-Jun-11 22:29:22

If it's phyllostachys aurea, you might be okay. My favourite bamboo supplier describes it as 'well behaved'.

Good luck

purepurple Sat 04-Jun-11 07:54:02

I think bamboo is very invasive and can grow underneath conservatories and push up the flooring. Your neighbours might be cursing you in a fw months time when their garden is overgrown with the stuff. I would be tempted to dig it up now.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Sat 04-Jun-11 11:40:11

You can keep the more rampant bamboos under some sort of control by burying slates around the plant, to create a barrier against it spreading.

My phyllostachys nigra has still not recovered from the winter and I'd dearly like it to spread a bit!

NoseyNooNoo Sat 04-Jun-11 23:36:49

My neighbour has it against the fence - we have to dig it out of our side every 3-4 weeks.

LoveInAColdClimate Wed 08-Jun-11 13:32:20

I would consider digging it up - my parents have just cleared about half an acre of bamboo out of their garden and it was hard work. Could you dig it up, put it in a pot, and replant the pot to contain the roots? I know people who have done that.

Pootles2010 Wed 08-Jun-11 13:37:28

Not sure on species, but my dad warned against this for us - i planted ours in a huge pot buried in border in the end.

Have heard stories of needing hack saws to get through the roots when digging them up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now