(6 Posts)
Swerving Wed 01-Jun-11 10:52:27

All are growing nicely and lovely to look at but what can I do with
Lemon Balm
Mint
Sage
Thyme
Rosemary to use, store or whatever

Would love to hear what others do with them.

highriggs Wed 01-Jun-11 11:32:05

I use all the herbs mentioned apart from Lemon Balm in cooking and marinating
Stumped with Lemon Balm and it is such a massive plant , wish I had planted it at the back of the border, it will have to come out and go elsewhere

Swerving Wed 01-Jun-11 11:38:38

Have you tried to preserve any of them highriggs and if so how did you do it?

I know what you mean about the lemon balm - theres loads. I just put some in a vase on the landing and it smells so nice.

keynesian Wed 01-Jun-11 13:17:25

In the past I've chopped the herbs and frozen them with a little water. eg. an icecube or two of mint is just the right amount for mint sauce. Rosemary is easy to dry and store.

keynesian Wed 01-Jun-11 13:19:53

p.s. Lemon balm tea is reputed to be anti aging as well as a mosquito repellant!

highriggs Wed 01-Jun-11 13:23:27

Thyme I have had success with just drying in the sun on a window ledge , rosemary is all year round green so don't have to save. Mint I think can be frozen or dried until brittle then crunched up for use or perhaps like mint sauce preserving in vinegar .
Sage is quite strong I find when it is dried but I think that I have seen it grow throughout the winter here as well if only I could remember ! Although I had the most beautiful blackcurrant sage which was killed by the winter as were all my rosemarys . All my other sages survived
That is a good tip for the balm as the blooming thing sits like a huge ewok in the border and I have another just sitting on the allotment as well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now