Talk

Advanced search

Help with roses and freecycling!

(6 Posts)
MerryMarigold Tue 31-May-11 12:41:28

This is 2 questions really. We're 'doing' the garden in a few weeks and getting rid of a lot of shrubs to give more grass for kids to play/ a shed etc. There's lots of roses in the garden, and they bring me much joy so:

a. Is it possible to pot roses? How do I transplant rose plants?

b. Can large plants/ shrubs be freecycled? Has anyone done this? How would I do it?

Pootles2010 Tue 31-May-11 12:49:15

I have no idea about potting roses, sorry!

Regarding second question, anything and everything can be freecycled. Do you use freecycle for other things? If not, just google freecycle then your town, and sign up, just say that you have xyz plants, to be picked up from wherever you are, and almost certainly you'll have some takers.

HarrietJones Tue 31-May-11 13:10:11

I've had plants from freecycle. Dug loads of raspberry canes from someone's garden!

OTOH roses are a nightmare to dig up(corkscrew roots) so they may not survive.

bigbadbarry Tue 31-May-11 13:14:21

I've moved roses (autumn, bare roots) and they didn't like it much

MerryMarigold Wed 01-Jun-11 22:49:19

Thanks. It's too sad. I love my roses and wanted to move them...even if I cut them right down, they won't move? <sob> If I move them now, summer, when they are in full growth would that be worse or better (give them some 'growing time' to settle in to their new homes?

MerryMarigold Wed 01-Jun-11 22:50:28

I will try the freecycle, but they are large shrubs and I don't even know what they are blush, so people would have to come and prune/ dig them up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now