Talk

Advanced search

what a load of rhubarb!!!

(5 Posts)
loosingthewilltoo Tue 31-May-11 09:17:03

i got given a rhubarb stumb from my DP work colleage back at beginning of the year, i've planted i but i don't know what year its in is there anyway i can tell?

PatientGriselda Tue 31-May-11 09:21:19

Not sure what you mean by "what year it's in", but I assume you mean for things like not pulling any stalks or forcing it in the first year?

Regardless of how old the mother plant was, I would treat yours as being in its first year, to give it a chance to establish in your garden.

loosingthewilltoo Tue 31-May-11 09:28:05

yeah thats what i meant i didn't know if i could pull any storks yet its screaming make in into a crumble smile

And ok thank you looks like its the local fruit and veg market for me then smile

PatientGriselda Tue 31-May-11 09:31:56

Well, to be honest, I pulled stalks from mine in its first year (it screamed out to me like yours, and I was weak) and it seems to jar survived perfectly well. Maybe I'd have had more stalks in subsequent years if I'd left it, but I've always had enough!

Driftwood999 Tue 31-May-11 20:31:03

If it's shouting at you then pull those stalks off and have a crumble. Otherwise, what others have said, it being it's first year, let is rest and gather strength. Rhubarb likes lots of rich compost in the early spring. Enjoy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: