Talk

Advanced search

Pond in a small bowl, will it work?

(5 Posts)
Earthymama Sat 28-May-11 21:07:29

In one of my gardening books, there is a lovely feature. A small ceramic bowl sunk into the ground, planted with water lily and some nice plants around.
As I had broken a solar water feature I have used the bowl planted the water lily which is showing signs of growing.
The feature gave no advice on maintaince; do I need to plant anything else, change water, etc? I would love to encourage frogs into the garden to eat slugs.
Any advice welcomed smile

Meglet Sat 28-May-11 21:10:56

I reckon you'll get frogs eventually. Just let nature take it's course. At the very least the birds should use it to drink / bathe in.

We don't have a pond but I sometimes find frogs in tubs near the shed so they aren't too fussy.

hormonesnomore Sat 28-May-11 21:15:37

Frogs seem to like our garden so I sank a small plastic pond liner (about the size of a baby bath) into one of the borders.

I've put a miniature water lily and some aquatic aerating plants in and the frogs love it. We even have a couple of newts. It does tend to get a bit dirty, but I bought some pond-cleaning snails from the garden centre and they eat the algae.

You just have to be watchful in the winter - a couple of years ago I lost some frogs which became trapped under the frozen surface sad

Earthymama Mon 30-May-11 00:02:37

Thank you, I thought of the birds too. Though their habit of throwing birdseed all over the flower bed instead of eating it resulting in many weeds instead of lovely plants is testing my unconditional love smile

I will try the snails if it gets grubby, I am looking forward to seeing this little feature flourish. If ever it is warm enough to leave the house.

Earthymama Mon 27-Jun-11 17:09:36

Disaster!! I have a Hare standing guard over the little pond and I think a cat has pushed it over. It has crashed onto the bowl and cracked it! sad
I have found a book by Charlie Dimmock at our local School Project Garden and she has some suggestions for tiny ponds. I will not be beaten.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now