Talk

Advanced search

The Chelsea Flower Show - Never been before - any advice

(8 Posts)
MrsNorthman Tue 24-May-11 13:11:59

Mum and I are off to Chelsea on Friday. Its the first time i've been and we have an 8am - 8pm ticket. The few people i've told keep telling me I need to be there at 8am to get in early and look at everything before it gets too busy.

We were thinking of getting a train into London that leaves after 9am (as its cheaper). This means we will get into Victoria at about 10.15ish and can be at Chelsea for about 11am. Then we were going to have a quick scoot round, have a bit of lunch then take a slower look round.

We are happy to be there until later in the day and leave early evening.

Why is everyone telling us to be there so early as I don't think even my stamina and my feet will carry me round from 8am - 8pm.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated

ChristinedePizan Tue 24-May-11 13:15:23

It gets busier later and it's so busy that it's difficult to see the gardens - you have to do a shuffle past the popular ones. If you can make it early in the day and then have lunch and do some of the less popular bits later, you'll have a better time.

WowOoo Tue 24-May-11 13:19:49

Does get so so busy, so earlier the better.

If you get there at that time you might have to hang around to see things. If you're not bothered about what you see or have nothing specific in mind go later.

Enjoy!

bonnetarte Tue 24-May-11 13:23:09

Definitely not enough to see for 12 hours. I took my MIL last year on the Friday.Yes it was busy, but just plan to move slowly and practice patience.
leave the show gardens til later and head for the marquees first. perhaps aim for the show gardens around lunchtime when people are eating.
we went round to Peter Jones at Sloane square for lunch and they had a flower themed menu which was lovely.
see no reason to arrive early if you have an all day ticket.Perhaps it is just popular to arrive early if you only have a half day ticket??
Enjoy it- it is fun- particularly Titchmarsh spotting which was popular with MIL grin

fishie Tue 24-May-11 13:23:53

you will see a lot of the back of people's heads if you go at 11am. it gets busier till frenzy point at mid afternoon. and i've only been on members days when fewer people are allowed in.

Cremolafoam Sat 28-May-11 11:23:37

how did you get on Mrs N ?

Meglet Sat 28-May-11 11:24:48

I went 10 years ago.

I have a photo of Titchmarsh. The Chelsea Pensioners made me cry blush.

ComeIntoTheGardenMaud Sat 28-May-11 22:57:14

I went about 12 years ago and vowed in future to watch it on telly (better view) and spend the ticket money on plants.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: