Talk

Advanced search

Do I need a greenhouse??

(9 Posts)
erebus Tue 24-May-11 10:10:07

like this!

I have a small suburban 'estate' garden, 12m x 6m with a conservatory.

Everyone tells me once I have a greenhouse I will wonder how I coped without it, but I'm not sure. I am a keen gardener (but don't grow veggies), and I wonder if I would add a new dimension to my enjoyment with the ability to grow from seed or 'grow on'. My mother has a huge garden and a good sized greenhouse so I could grow seedlings and pass 2/3 on to her.

What do you think? What do you do with yours?

erebus Tue 24-May-11 19:41:18

bump?!

ellangirl Tue 24-May-11 21:12:59

Couldn't you use your conservatory? just a thought!

GnomeDePlume Tue 24-May-11 21:53:55

I have a 10m*10m garden and have a 6'*8' greenhouse (sorry, mixing my measures) and quite frequently run out of space. Now I do have an allotment as well so I'm starting off seeds for that but for the garden I am:

- growing sweet peas from seed
- potting on plug plants
- right now I have some morning glories just sprouting
- I am also growing tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers
- over winter I can protect more tender plants

Without a doubt a greenhouse is a wonderful thing and I would say that the one you linked to just wont be big enough! DH is an electrician and has put power out to my greenhouse so that I have an electric propagator (great for starting seeds in winter), lighting (for pottering on winter evenings) and somewhere to plug in my radio.

erebus Wed 25-May-11 13:30:38

Getting greenhouse envy, now!

As for using the conservatory, the actual reason I don't is because I don't want to, visually! I see a greenhouse as being a utilitarian space, whereas the conservatory is part of the family living area. But a reasonable Q!

GnomeDePlume Wed 25-May-11 13:49:45

I would agree that greenhouses are not a joy to behold unless you consider bottles of bug spray, packets of fertiliser plus the other detritus of keen gardening as being a good look!

Before I had the greenhouse I had a shed on the same base, I get a lot more enjoyment out of the greenhouse.

One thing I would say is that a standard greenhouse has infinitely replacable parts like glazing panes and automatic vents. It is also much more flexible plant accomodation.

Dazmum Tue 31-May-11 09:50:53

This is the first year I've had my greenhouse and it's fantastic, doing all the same as you, GnomeDP in my 6x8, which I wish was bigger already! Very envy of your heat as I'm still electric propagating on the kitchen windowsill! Erebus, you will grow so many flowers you'll have trouble finding where to put them all, so you'll certainly have loads to pass to your mum. I grew way too many because I didn't think they would all grow, so I'll know for next year. And if you have one you'll probably never be seen indoors again!

erebus Tue 31-May-11 11:17:19

Well, I went forth and bought the one in my OP!

It should come this week. TBH I can't see we will have the time or need to erect it before the end of the summer at this stage. I have a couple of small tip cuttings I am propagating in one of the little Homebase clear-lidded boxes, but that's it right now!

First, I have to lay a patio....

Dazmum Tue 31-May-11 11:22:33

Brilliant, you will love it!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: