Talk

Advanced search

Evergreen perennials?

(13 Posts)
Pannacotta Sun 31-Oct-10 13:11:12

I'd like to replant some of our main border, which we can see from the house.
It faces East and there are trees at the back for screening, so it's quite shady. Soil is good, neutral and free draining.

I have far too many geraniums at the mo and would like to replace some with perennials which keep their foliage through the winter, my thinking is if the front of the border has some greenery it will look fuller than it really is.

Any recommendations?

TuttiFrutti Mon 01-Nov-10 21:03:07

Ferns! I've got a group of 6 in one of our borders and they are brilliant, beautiful green foliage all year round and they don't mind shade.

oldenoughtowearpurple Tue 02-Nov-10 09:24:40

Hellebores - buy them now in flower. Don't be seduced by too many black ones, they tend to disappear from a distance.

Orissiah Wed 03-Nov-10 10:16:02

Various colours of cordylines (we have green and also burgundy); Japonica skimmia; various grasses.

Orissiah Wed 03-Nov-10 10:17:19

Our sage and thyme and bay shrubs last year round too and look beautiful.

GrendelsMum Sat 06-Nov-10 11:44:27

Hello Pannacotta! What kind of style are you going for?

Pannacotta Sun 14-Nov-10 09:49:55

Whoops, I forgot about this thread.
Thanks for the replies.
The border is quite simple, trees, shrubs and perennials. I'd like some greenery at the front really so in winter it doesnt look too bleak.

We have some Hellebores already but the foliage isnt that great. Not too keen on Cordylines or grasses for this spot - the edging needs to be fairly low I think.

What do you use Grendel? Any chance of a pic of your garden in winter for some inspiration?

GrendelsMum Sun 14-Nov-10 17:04:56

I think that we should organise a garden visit to a stunning winter garden to give you some ideas!

Is it more of a Victorian style you're going for?

My garden's not great at the moment in winter - still too new, really. You might remember you suggested some Euphorbias, which I've added in, and I'm hoping that will add some structure.

Personally, I love scented plants in winter - what about Sarcococca?

catinthehat2 Sun 14-Nov-10 17:08:39

Box keeps its leaves.

FOr winter garden ideas check out Anglesey Abbey in Cambridgeshire

Pannacotta Sun 14-Nov-10 19:08:14

Yes I agree a garden visit would be good.
I'm not really going for a particular style, I just want to be able to see some greenery when I look out of the sitting room windows from November till March! I have planted some Ajuga and Tellima but the purple foliage looks a bit lost in the winter and you can barely see it.

I do think Box edging looks great but I really don't like the smell, it reminds me of cat pee.

Will check out your link cat, thanks.

catinthehat2 Sun 14-Nov-10 20:19:20

I have honestly never noticed box having a smell! Will have a sniff tomorrow.

the Winter WAlk at AA is most excellent. I think there is just about every winter fragrant shrub in the UK planted along there, and it looks good as well. If you are a smell person I think you would like it.

Pannacotta Sun 14-Nov-10 20:34:36

I am definitely a smell person! I have a very sharp sense of smell, which is a shame really as box would be great in this case if not for the cat pong!
Will have to take a visit to AA and have a look round, have read Dan Pearson raving about it and we dont live too far away.

I do have some winter scented shrubs, mainly in the front, but most of them are too large to use as edging and Sarcococca is a bit bland in the summer.
Perhaps some smaller Euphorbias woudl work, they seem to like the light soil here.

GrendelsMum Sun 14-Nov-10 21:20:31

That's exactly where I thought we could visit for a winter garden tour, Pannacotta! Anglesey Abbey followed by Cambridge Botanic Gardens for the winter garden there. It should take about 30 - 40 mins or so to get from one to the other.

When you've walked through the AA gardens, you won't think that Sarcococca is bland any more - honestly, the smell is worth it.

I'm up for a visit in December, January or February, if people are interestd and available.

I've gone for Euphorbia Blackbird, at your suggestion, as well as Euphorbia wulfenii and will see how they look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now