Talk

Advanced search

Does your year 10 DC know what a levels they want to do yet?

(15 Posts)
dollybird Tue 15-May-18 15:52:12

DD wants to do maths a level, but other than that, she is mostly just choosing things she doesn't want to do. Has dismissed German even though it's her best and favourite subject due to the literature element, doesn't want to continue English, history or science and none of the 'new' subjects take her fancy.

She has no particular career plan and DS already knew by this point what he wanted to do. Are most other 14/15 year olds not sure until much closer to having to submit an application??

BestZebbie Tue 15-May-18 15:55:51

Sounds like Maths, Geography and Design then :-) Sorted.

(When I was in year 10 about half of the pupils didn't have a career plan that relied on an obvious set of A-levels and didn't know what to choose, or chose by elimination/timetable clashes/so they got a free afternoon every week etc)

dollybird Tue 15-May-18 19:54:19

Haha, yes, I think I had maths as a definite then chose the two subjects I got the highest grades for in my GCSEs! Things seem very different these days. Going by her parents evening today she would take maths German and a science. She says sociology and psychology sound interesting, but not sure how well they go with maths...

LockedOutOfMN Tue 15-May-18 19:57:30

I'm a head of year 10 / 11. Our students have to submit their options at Easter of Y11 and the vast majority are still umming and ahhing the week before that, despite plenty of assemblies and PSHE lessons and parent meetings to help them decide. I think it's quite natural as they've spent 12 years studying a full curriculum so the idea of actually having lessons in just 3 or 4 subjects seems alien. In Y10 in my experience it's far more typical not to know rather than to know.

chocolateworshipper Tue 15-May-18 19:59:26

DD1 changed her mind many times. Even at enrolment, but to be fair that was because the college had cancelled a course she was going to do and hadn't updated their website! It's hard to choose before you have your actual GCSE results, so colleges aren't really interested in choices before enrolment day.

raspberryrippleicecream Tue 15-May-18 22:36:22

DCs school asks for choices next February, though obviously wiggle room after that.

DS2 says he wants to do either Computer Science or Music at uni so is fixed on Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Music. Will be interesting to see if it is still that next year! DS1 had his mind fixed on Physics from Y10, so that made most of his choices straightforward also.

DD was always History but the others took more thinking about. And she couldn't do two she wanted as they were timetabled together.

There are very few of DS2s friends know what they want to do yet.

Zoflorabore Tue 15-May-18 22:40:30

My ds is in year 10 and is currently in a state revising for his GCSE Englsih Lit ( 2 papers next Tuesday and Friday ).

At the moment he hates everything.
He hates Romeo and Juliet more than anything in the world grin

What has surprised me though is the subjects that have always been his strongest which are history/art/English have taken a back seat and he's talking about going down the maths/physics route as wants to be an architect today

I think it will likely change again.

BackforGood Wed 16-May-18 00:14:11

dd2 is still changing her mind / wavering, and sh'e Yr11 grin

Ggirl27 Wed 16-May-18 10:34:15

Mines taking his GCSEs right now and still hasn't decided smile

LooseAtTheSeams Wed 16-May-18 16:17:48

Yep, same here. Mostly he thinks it's maths, biology and psychology, but the maths could become English.
I'm not letting him change anything until he gets his results!

BackforGood Wed 16-May-18 22:11:02

Same here Loose
Not going to stress until results day tells us if there will be a choice or not wink

Scabetty Fri 01-Jun-18 22:47:10

Ds in year 10 said he will do A Level maths, art and design, and history. This will change weekly no doubt.

essietopcoat Sat 02-Jun-18 22:34:44

Mine has decided on Maths and a MFL, not sure of the third. She thinks one of the sciences, but is not seeming that interested in any of them so not sure if that will work out well.

I've suggested maybe a non-core subject like Economics, DH thinks this would be a bad idea..

Justgivemesomepeace Sat 02-Jun-18 22:37:09

Dd wants to do PE, biology and geography. She seems quite set on them. She's yr10.

bionicnemonic Sat 02-Jun-18 22:46:51

DS is Year 11. Can’t decide if A levels or IB let alone which subjects! I think IB is appealing as there’s still lots of subjects so you don’t have to narrow the choices!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: