Talk

Advanced search

Advice needed....am I too old to start my degree and career at 41

(7 Posts)
CatherineG1977 Fri 20-Apr-18 19:30:16

Hi,
Long st
ory short...I have 2 girls 8 and 5. I'm a single mum. Prior to becoming single I put my own career to the back burner and relied solely on my husband...who left for someone else.

So now at the grand old age of 41, I want to date on my life experiences and reclaim my life and career. I would love to become a counsellor. And that means doing a short course, then a degree. It would mean I will be late 40s when I qualify. Am I too old for this? I have a degree already but not in anything relevant to this (engineering)...therefore would I qualify for financial assistance? I work part time.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

BubblesBuddy Fri 20-Apr-18 21:39:44

I would try and Work in engineering. Counsellors are two a penny, engineers are not. My friend has a degree in psychology but that does not, in itself, qualify her for anything. It’s one of those jobs where a little bit of knowledge is dangerous and getting knowledge is difficult with few openings. As a customer, which counsellor do you trust?

Good luck if you want to do it, but it seems very wishy washy as a career and everyone seems to want to have a go at it.

Fairylea Fri 20-Apr-18 21:42:17

You are never too old to do anything. If you have the will and the health you can and should do whatever makes you happy. I know that sounds incredibly naff but it really is the truth.

I can’t think of one person who would be put off a particular counsellor because of their age.

greendale17 Fri 20-Apr-18 21:46:26

*I would try and Work in engineering. Counsellors are two a penny, engineers are not.*

^Whilst there are a shortage of engineers it is not as simple as just getting an engineering degree

endofacentury Fri 20-Apr-18 21:46:31

If you have had student finance before you can't get it again, only for a couple of shortage subjects. If that is not an issue go for it, not too old

BubblesBuddy Fri 20-Apr-18 22:35:45

I do know about engineering! Obviously a degree is just the start, but so is a degree in psychology! However, what makes you happy counts for a lot but so might the money you can earn! Grad engineers earn pretty well.

chocolateworshipper Fri 20-Apr-18 23:15:24

I am late 40s and re-training to start my third career. Go for it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: