Talk

Advanced search

A level chemistry - when does it click?

(13 Posts)
Teenageromance Wed 14-Mar-18 20:47:40

Just that really - dd in year 12 and struggling to get above a C. Tutor time?

llangennith Wed 14-Mar-18 21:00:51

What grade did she get at GCSE?
Does she think a tutor will help?
If so, act fast before she falls too far behind.

Teenageromance Wed 14-Mar-18 21:15:27

A* at gcse - but not sure where she should be at this point. It’s the only one she is struggling with.

ProfessorLayton1 Mon 19-Mar-18 10:20:19

OP- see Medicine 2018 thread in higher education. I posted a similar question and have had some replies.
Or start a new thread in higher educationsmile

Winchester13 Mon 19-Mar-18 10:24:12

I got an A at GCSE but really struggled at A level to be honest. X

TweenageAngst Mon 19-Mar-18 10:27:07

I have a DS in the exact same scenario. Mine panics in exams at wits end how to help.
Mine already has a tutor,

LoniceraJaponica Mon 19-Mar-18 10:50:56

DD got an A* in all her sciences and has found the jump to A level very hard. Her chemistry grades started off at C, crept up to a B and she is now working at an A. With A levels only three months away at least she is going in the right direction. My niece found that it all clicked in year 13 as well.

DD is lucky that one of her chemistry teachers is a brilliant teacher and does a drop in after school once a week. She has found these drop in sessions very useful.

flatmouse Wed 28-Mar-18 15:30:29

DS got A at GCSE, didn't bother working Y12 and is now struggling to even pass. He needs a C - not convinced he will get there, but he is working hard now. Practice questions seem essential.

skippy67 Fri 20-Apr-18 12:36:22

My Dd got an A at GCSE. She really struggled at a level though, and dropped it 2 months ago. Much happier now.

speakout Sun 22-Apr-18 06:23:48

Does your DD need an A level in Chemistry?

I am not sure that chemistry does ever " click" with some people.

I have a degree in Chemistry. I found other subjects difficult. History and languages were not my thing.
I have two kids, for one Chemistry was easy, and he "clicked", sailed through A level without having to study. My DD struggled with the subject, although she finds other subjects easy.

Our brains are all wired differently. It doesn't make for cleverness, just difference.

Mindgone Sun 03-Jun-18 23:54:56

Y13 it clicked for DS1. AS mock, C, AS, B, and then A2, A*! He worked his socks off though, had a tutor, and worked to the exam specification, found on the internet.

chocolateworshipper Tue 05-Jun-18 21:08:48

There is a thread called "Last term of Year 13. Gulp" in Further Education with Mums of DCs who have just done A level Chemistry - you'd be very welcome to post on there and ask about their experience.

Stripybeachbag Tue 05-Jun-18 21:20:28

Chemistry teacher here. I think it is important for kids to read through their notes and process the new content after every lesson. Sometimes just a read through is enough, other times more active work to make sure it is embedded. Chemistry is like a language you need to know and understand prior learning to understand another topic. It constantly builds on itself. The course is very content heavy so a teacher often doesn't have to re-teach essential prior learning before teaching the new content.

I'd recommend going to YouTube and watching "fuse school" or Khan academy tutorials to help. Also when your dd starts a new topic she could ask the teacher what she could look up before to help her get it in class. Going over her GCSE revision books would also help. Hell even stuff covered in year 7 and 8 is relevant (but probably forgotten by most students).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: