Talk

Advanced search

Quitting 6th Form

(11 Posts)
barniegirl Mon 12-Feb-18 17:14:38

Can anyone advise me please? My daughter started 6th form in September 2017 but has come to the conclusion that it's not for her anymore. She left 6th form last week and has not been back but has applied for a lot of apprenticeships as she feels she will be happier doing these than 6th form. I informed the teachers who have since asked me to go in and have a chat with them, which I will be doing in a couple of days time.

What I need to know though before I go in to the meeting is this - can my daughter stay away from school until she has found a suitable apprenticeship? The teacher is telling me that she has to stay in full time education until she has started an apprenticeship but I disagree because my daughter has lost all interest in 6th form, so surely there's no point in making her sit through her lessons when she a) has no interest and b) won't be there to do the exams anyway. Plus she's getting depressed thinking she has got to go back to so something she doesn't want to do anymore.

I have tried to Google the answer, but am having no luck. What I'm really afraid of, bottom line, is the school will report my daughter and we will then be faced with all sorts of legal problems which she, and me, definitely cannot face.

SuburbanRhonda Mon 12-Feb-18 17:17:20

Phone your local authority Education Welfare Service - they’ll be able to tell you.

Knittedfairies Mon 12-Feb-18 17:20:10

The teacher may be right:
parentzone.careerpilot.org.uk/parent/info/when-can-my-child-leave-school/?topic=5977
Hopefully you can find a way around it.

barniegirl Mon 12-Feb-18 18:05:33

Thank you for those suggestions. I will look into them further.

Heratnumber7 Mon 12-Feb-18 18:29:54

The law says she has to be in education, employment or training. So the teacher is right. She can't just quit school with nothing else to do.
Not sure whose responsibility it is though to ensure she attends.

sashh Tue 13-Feb-18 08:15:50

She has to be in 'education, employment or training' until she is 18, but that can be home school.

catslife Tue 13-Feb-18 10:56:48

If you receive Child Benefit (or tax credits) there are implications if your dd leaves her course early. The link is attached www.gov.uk/child-benefit-16-19
The Home-Ed option only really applies if this is started before sixth form if you are claiming CB and/or tax credits.
There is an option for a temporary break if she registers with the local careers service.
I don't think the sixth form can force your dd to stay but they may be able to provide advice on what to do next (they will have seen others go through similar situations).

Heratnumber7 Tue 13-Feb-18 20:06:47

You can't just diss around and claim to be home schooled.

Heratnumber7 Tue 13-Feb-18 20:07:00

*doss

chocolateworshipper Wed 14-Feb-18 22:19:18

Any chance she could have just picked the wrong courses? DD is Y13 and a lot of her friends restarted Y12 last September in order to change courses.

Bekabeech Sun 18-Feb-18 08:12:44

There is no enforcement of the need to be in training or education. But I'd probably claim home ed to reassure the school. How has your DD been doing at Sixth Form? Is this just a blip?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: