Talk

Advanced search

Help! Should I go back to uni?!

(5 Posts)
torthecatlady Tue 06-Feb-18 21:22:11

Hi, I really need some advice and thought where better to turn to, than Mumsnet?

So I'm 27, both my dh and I are stuck in crap minimum wage jobs. I'm miserable in my job. I am considering (very early stages) going back to get a degree in counselling.

A bit of background, I went to uni to do a computer related degree when I was 18. Completely balls it up and left before I finished the first year. It was just not the right time for me. I used the student loans co. for financing it and I'm sure I read that I could apply for up to 4 years funding in total which could help if I chose to do a 3 year course.

I have an "Access" qualification in IT, a few A.S Levels, and levels 2 and 3 in counselling (the next step is the degree) so would hopefully be accepted with these qualifications in terms of UCAS points and relevant subject.

It would be totally funded by loans (preferably by the SLC) and would be studied in Wales. The course fees are £9000 per year (a lot more than my first time around).

We have a mortgage, dh has a son (we have him on weekends), we are not looking to have children of our own until our 30's.

We each put £600 into our joint account each month to cover bills. I would need to still somehow contribute this if I was in uni. Counselling degrees require a lot of unpaid hours worked, so a part time job might not be an option.

Does anyone know what kind of help (grants or loans) could be available?

I'm really torn as to what to do. I would really like to hear about others who chose to go back to education and how it worked for them.

Sorry for the essay! Hopefully I haven't missed anything. grin

gingergenius Tue 06-Feb-18 22:00:10

I'm 48 and have just gone back to uni to get the degree I couldn't get the first time around. Go for it!

rightsaidfrederickII Tue 06-Feb-18 23:48:55

Whizzy little calculator for student finance here smile www.studentfinancewales.co.uk/calculator.aspx#.Wno-z65l_IU

torthecatlady Wed 07-Feb-18 18:26:35

I should give the SLC a ring shouldn't I? It feels quite scary to make a big decision like this!

chocolateworshipper Fri 09-Feb-18 19:50:01

Any chance there are any degree apprenticeships in your field? That way you'd be earning whilst studying and the employer would pay your tuition fees.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: