Talk

Advanced search

Starting University at 17

(21 Posts)
Jabbott1 Mon 22-Jan-18 15:40:57

Has anyone else's DS/DD been 17 when starting University. My DS has conditional offers at Manchester, Bristol, Birmingham & Exeter for 2018 entry, but he doesn't turn 18 until February 2019.
He's already been told he can't get student bank account, so I'm guessing he also won't be able to get student loan.
Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

MollyHuaCha Mon 22-Jan-18 15:47:55

Congrats to your DS. He has plenty to look forward to. smile

I know a young man now in 2nd yr uni who started at age 17. One annoying thing for him was not being able to join in with freshers' events as he needed over-18 ID to even get into some of the venues.

StealthPolarBear Mon 22-Jan-18 15:53:13

I was. I had a bank account, had one from a younger age.
I was too young to go though, wasted my time.

StealthPolarBear Mon 22-Jan-18 15:54:12

Ah sorry a student bank account. I think I had one of those

catslife Mon 22-Jan-18 16:12:40

He's already been told he can't get student bank account, so I'm guessing he also won't be able to get student loan.
Who told him that? A quick look on a search engine has found a Lloyds bank student account that accepts 17 year olds. Link is attached
www.lloydsbank.com/current-accounts/all-accounts/student-account.asp.

thUnderdog Mon 22-Jan-18 16:15:03

Not me or my DC, but friends at uni not that long ago. As far as I know, the only problem was not drinking/getting others to order for them in the student union until their birthday.

welshweasel Mon 22-Jan-18 16:16:50

I was 17 when I started and turned 18 in the February. It’s pretty common in Scotland too. I got a bank account no problem and no one ever questioned me drinking in the student union etc.

Jabbott1 Mon 22-Jan-18 17:13:29

Hey Catslife thanks for the link. He had asked at NatWest where he has a junior account, not sure if he'd searched much further.
Yes I'm guessing 'Freshers' week may be a problem not being old enough to drink, but I'm not so naive to imagine it won't happen!!

Fekko Mon 22-Jan-18 17:14:43

I did (I was offered a place at 16 for the following year). He should be able to get an account.

Fekko Mon 22-Jan-18 17:15:12

Too you got drunk. Awwwwwww, bless (it won’t happen!)

Needmoresleep Tue 23-Jan-18 17:57:12

He might ask the Universities themselves what they offer for younger students.

London ones like LSE and Imperial can be very good. They have a lot of international students and It is not that uncommon for students coming from school systems that allow bright students to be moved up a year, or whose school year starts in January, to be under 18 when they start. Both these factors applied to a London based French friend of DDs who started when still 16. But she was able to live at home and presumably treat it more like a sixth form college. (DD also knew a couple of Asian boys who started at 14!) A friend of DS a few weeks short of his 18th birthday simply complained that the alternative freshers events were dull.

In case it is useful, this is Imperials policy [https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/administration-and-support-services/registry/academic-governance/public/academic-policy/admissions/Minors-policy.pdf]

Which suggests the issues at stake for the University.

ttlshiwwya Thu 25-Jan-18 11:13:51

My youngest son started a Scottish uni this year aged 17 (won't turn 18 until this summer). He's had no problems with Fresher's events, student union or other events. I think he's only been ID'd once.

His choice of student bank accounts were more limited however he did have some choice - RBS and BoS are both used to students under 18. Although I think you can't have an overdraft/credit card until you are 18. He said he'll switch to another student account when he turns 18.

I think unis have some sort of safe guarding responsibility for 17 year olds as I remember him saying something about his advisor of studies having to go thru something with him/filling out a form and there being additional support for under 18s if needed.

LoniceraJaponica Sat 27-Jan-18 17:08:55

DD wants to study medicine, and no medical school in England accepts students under 18 as far as I know.

prettybird Sun 28-Jan-18 23:22:38

A friend of mine's dd is in her 1st year of medicine at a Scottish Uni and doesn't turn 18 until February.

She had completed all 6 years of Scottish secondary (ie didn't leave after S5). The Scottish age cut off dates means that it is indeed possible to go to Uni at 17.

I went to Uni after S5 and had no problem opening a bank account. But that was a looooong time ago blushgrin

Ds is in S6 but only turns 18 in September, so at least when he starts Uni, he won't be constrained about what events he can get into.

He already has a bank account, which he opened a year ago, which allows him a debit card but no overdraft. This is with Bank of Scotland. I remember vaguely being told when he opened it he could convert it to a student account when he needed to.

LoniceraJaponica Mon 29-Jan-18 06:32:42

I was talking about England specifically. DD is one of the youngest in her year and can't get the kind of medical work experience required until she turns 18. She asked at the subject talks about this and was told that as long as she was 18 by the time she started med school it would be OK.

She has been volunteering at a care home, but has been limited as to what she can do because she is only 17 - not allowed to handle the residents in any way, not allowed to handle hot drinks.

LolitaLempicka Mon 29-Jan-18 06:35:46

My daughter will, but only by a month. I want her to take a gap year. I think it is too young ( I work in HE) kids that have had a gap year (and travel) have a much easier time.

Lowdoorinthewal1 Mon 29-Jan-18 06:47:12

Is that what you want for your DS?

My DS is August born and, when the time comes, I will really encourage him to take at least one gap year.

I took a gap year and have an Autumn birthday so I was 19 soon after starting. I was only just ready to cope with it, and that was after a year abroad looking after myself. I don't want DS to go days after his 18th birthday.

Lowdoorinthewal1 Mon 29-Jan-18 06:48:46

Sorry, I was 20 soon after starting!

LoniceraJaponica Mon 29-Jan-18 08:28:31

I think DD will have a gap year to gain more experience. I think she will have a better chance of gaining entry to medical school with a gap year as well. The only thing that concerns me is that she will be terribly lonely when her friends go off to university and she stays at home.

dotdotdotmustdash Sun 04-Mar-18 10:47:15

My Dd was due to start Uni in Edinburgh at 17.5 but instead took the opportunity to go abroad for a year first. She's at Uni now and she's glad she waited as it's much easier to participate fully in Uni if you're over 18. Her clubs and groups all tend to go to the pub after practices to get to know each other. I would try to encourage the DC to find something to do for a year, even if it's just a part time job.

Acrossthesea Sun 04-Mar-18 10:58:49

I was 17 at Uni and frankly I wish I had waited another year. Academically it was fine but emotionally it was not. DM and I were talking about it just last week. Hindsight it 20/20 after all. Only you and him know if he is emotionally mature enough.

A boy at my school was 16 and he was fine and doesn't regret it, but he is a genius and for him being with other academically gifted student was a godsend after our school.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: