Talk

Advanced search

Talk me through Conservatoire applications please

(5 Posts)
ifonly4 Mon 20-Nov-17 14:54:53

DD is adamant she wants to apply to Conservatoires next year for music performance, possibly even music academies. I have no idea of the process or what we should be looking into, but I suspect it's not going to be easy. I know school will support her nearer the time but I don't want to find we've overlooked something.

Also, can she apply for a student loan that only has to be paid back if her earnings exceed a certain amount (as if she were a university student).

DD doesn't think there are any universities which offer much in the way of music performance, does anyone know of any?

Icouldbeknitting Mon 20-Nov-17 23:10:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Grumpyoldpersonwithcats Sat 02-Dec-17 18:30:07

DS1 has applied for Sep 2018 (and has just been offered a place - huzzah) . You apply to the conservatoires though CUCAS (conservatoire UCAS). This covers about 10 conservatoires in the UK. You can apply to 6 conservatoires in addition to normal University applications. You will need an additional music reference for the CUCAS apolication and there is a fee for each application c £100 per application). Be warned competition is fierce and entry is by audition. Student loans work in the same way as for Uni courses (but the undergrad courses are 4 years). Any more details feel free to PM me.
Good luck to your DD

Grumpyoldpersonwithcats Sun 03-Dec-17 13:44:10

Sorry OP. Should have said you are too late for 2018 entry (entry ended early October - a fair bit earlier than for university entries)

ifonly4 Wed 06-Dec-17 15:24:02

Grumpy, thanks for your post. It's for 2019 entry, but as I haven't got a clue and she boards, I want to keep on top of things. She's applied for details of some potentials now and I need to talk to her about making uni applications as a back up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now