Talk

Advanced search

Weird A Levels- limiting Uni choice?

(8 Posts)
glitterbiscuits Tue 14-Nov-17 11:20:59

DS is determined to study maths, chemistry and English language for A level.

The long term Uni choice is material science. Which specify maths and science but no mention of 3rd subject.
He also likes the sound of metallurgy or engineering as back up. But material science is the front runner by a long way.

DS likes linguistics too but not as a career. Hence the A level.
The language A level has almost no creative writing but lots of looking at speech patterns etc

I thought as he may be up against people with A levels in a less incongruous 3rd subject for Uni places he shouldn’t set his heart on English language.

Anyone have any views or experience to share?

irregularegular Tue 14-Nov-17 11:26:05

He should contact admissions departments at departments he might be interested in. I'd have thought Physics would be extremely useful to be honest. Even if it is not a requirement, I would think the first year would be much more challenging without it. And if he doesn't want to do A-level Physics, is he really that keen on Material Science?

Oxford Material Science (as an example) requires Maths and Physics, with Chemistry only "highly desirable".

irregularegular Tue 14-Nov-17 11:28:33

Imperial requires Maths, Physics, Chemistry,

glitterbiscuits Tue 14-Nov-17 11:42:35

I have asked him to send a quick email to various admissions tutors but that is a ludicrous idea. (!) I am a mother and there extremely ignorant. Despite having gone to Uni myself and looked into other courses with older DC

I suspect he thinks he will get offered a place because of his sparking personality and good hair!

I may show him this thread. Perhaps if enough ‘mums’ say contact admissions he will get the message

glitterbiscuits Tue 14-Nov-17 15:54:21

I’ve sent off a couple of emails this afternoon.

Allthebestnamesareused Tue 14-Nov-17 17:09:39

Most of the uni websites show what is actually required and what may also be desired for each course.

If Maths and Chemistry are required and 3rd choice is optional then it is better for him to do something he enjoys and/or likely to get a good grade in to increase his chance if getting to the best uni he can.

If he doesn't want to email you/hecan check online

BubblesBuddy Tue 14-Nov-17 19:07:10

Personality and hair won’t come into it because hardly any universities interview!

Many Engineering disciplines do, ideally need maths and physics as the science unless you want to be a chemical engineer. Not doing Physics is really limiting his choice of courses. That may not matter to him though.

You can easily research the top universities for materials science and engineering, ignoring Imperial and Oxbridge as they are hugely demanding, and see what the best RG universities want. Look at Sheffield, Bristol, Southampton, Nottingham and Manchester to get a broad spectrum (not that I have checked materials science at any of them). There are plenty of non RG ones to look at too that have excellent engineering courses.

glitterbiscuits Tue 14-Nov-17 21:54:37

I have had one Uni response so far and lo and behold they are not put off by the idea of an English A level

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: