Talk

Advanced search

U grade AS levejs

(14 Posts)
SunnySummerDays Sat 11-Nov-17 00:23:54

Hi does anyone have any clear guidance of you have to declare u grade on UCAS form please?

We were originally told no. Now it's a yes..... I think it might drag his offers down!

Thanks

Waddlingwanda Sat 11-Nov-17 00:30:24

As far as I was aware you put in the ones you want to count. As you would a CV, nobody declares anything D or lower.

SunnySummerDays Sat 11-Nov-17 00:36:00

Thanks, I believed this to be the case too. But now ds flapping he has to declare them all.
Just tried the UCAS tool and it changed a yes offer to a no if I add in an extra u!!
I'll try speak to school next week but ds says must declare!

Icouldbeknitting Sat 11-Nov-17 08:25:22

No, it's not like a CV, you do not just put in the grades you want to count. This is the UCAS declaration, 2018 entry section a:

If we, or a university or college, have any reason to believe that you or your referee have:

left out any relevant information, including qualifications you have completed, qualifications with an unsuccessful grade or qualifications for which you are still awaiting results
given false or misleading information
we may take any necessary steps to check with you and other parties, including universities, colleges and examination and awarding bodies whether the information you have provided is accurate or complete.

It goes on to say that they can cancel your application. I can see that there is some wiggle room on whether a U is actually an unsuccessful grade or not seeing as it is ungraded as in "without a grade" What does his college say?

spababe Sat 11-Nov-17 15:20:11

I phoned UCAS on this and was told they had to go in

SunnySummerDays Sun 12-Nov-17 00:42:43

Even if not cashed in?

PurpleDaisies Sun 12-Nov-17 00:47:51

What do you mean “not cashed in?” Was an as level exam taken or not!?

HeddaGarbled Sun 12-Nov-17 01:04:34

You need to talk to the school about this. There's some stuff around Maths and Further Maths where only the highest grades are "cashed in" for the final grade, so a U grade at AS level could be disregarded. The school will know. Don't take advice from uninformed people on mumsnet!

RavingRoo Sun 12-Nov-17 01:05:47

Yes for popular courses as it differentiates the more than 3 A/A Star crowd - someone who has 4 As or 3 As and 1 B is worth more academically than someone with 3As and a U (all equiv).

SunnySummerDays Sun 12-Nov-17 01:15:55

They told me (back in the summer) that As maths is still modular and it wasn't possible to ask for the overall grade until they saw how he'd done. As he hasn't passed they said will not request a grade

southboundagain Sun 12-Nov-17 01:29:17

It gets a bit funny if it's not cashed in, because technically it could still change. I vaguely remember that I couldn't declare the grade I had earned at the end of year 12 for A-level maths finished early, because I hadn't cashed it in (because you can swap the modules with the Further Maths I was taking next, so the grade could have gone down).

This site is more recent than my experience (ten years ago now!) and also agrees not to declare results if they are not cashed in:
www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4995158

southboundagain Sun 12-Nov-17 01:30:56

You need to be sure that it wasn't cashed in, though - don't just assume as some schools might just do it anyway (mine was pushy and knew every trick in the book to attain high grades so would only cash in once the maths modules were arranged optimally right at the end of the course).

titchy Sun 12-Nov-17 21:49:19

If it isn't cashed in then it isn't a U grade so you wouldn't need to declare.

Waddlingwanda Thu 16-Nov-17 21:10:59

Gosh that’s interesting we just didn’t include it!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: