Talk

Advanced search

Apprenticeship “prospectus”

(21 Posts)
homebythesea Fri 10-Nov-17 10:04:03

Y12 DD unsure which path to take after school so as well as sending off for Uni prospectuses she would like to learn more about potential apprenticeships in the industry she is interested in. Google tells me that various companies in that industry do have apprenticeship schemes but how do I go about getting some literature about what they entail, what educational element there is etc so she can weigh up the options? All I can see is “Apply now” rather than any further general info

homebythesea Sat 11-Nov-17 14:50:11

Bumping in hopeful anticipation

catslife Sat 11-Nov-17 15:30:41

If you are looking at degree level apprenticeships, there is information on this thread here that you may find helpful.
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/apprenticeships/2996465-Introducing-Degree-Apprenticeships-The-Basics

homebythesea Sat 11-Nov-17 17:08:56

Thanks catslife

rightsaidfrederickII Tue 14-Nov-17 23:15:17

To be honest the literature available can be a bit patchy because
a) degree apprenticeships are so incredibly popular that they don't need to spend money on glossy marketing literature
b) if an employer is doing the promotion of it, the they probably won't be producing glossy literature for any of the other jobs they offer and so such marketing will often be an alien concept
c) if it's the uni / training provider doing the promotion, then they will invariably have several schemes available with different employers, but what they offer can change at breakneck speed (i.e. adding in new employers) and so the literature goes out of date very rapidly.

Due to the brutally competitive nature of degree apprenticeships, if that's what she's thinking of doing I'd strongly suggest putting in a UCAS application too as a plan B.

What's the industry she's interested in working in, and what qualifications is she doing now?

homebythesea Wed 15-Nov-17 23:19:01

Are all post A level apprenticeships called degree apprenticeships now?

She wants to go into theatre/Tv/film production and currently doing 3 A levels. A lot of the major names in this field mention apprenticeships on websites but don't detail what the education aspect will be and where. It's this sort of info, together with eg deadlines for application, info about what application requires etc that seems lacking. It would be good to gather together info and compare just like we would if she was going to apply to Uni.

DOLLYDAYDREAMER Thu 23-Nov-17 20:55:53

All apprenticeships are not created equal.. If it says Degree apprenticesjip then it must be overseen by Uni although how much input they have is variable. Some really good companies do mostly their own training. There are also a lot of non degree apprenticeships which are just low paid jobs with a bit of training thrown in. But probably in the film TV field kids would still jump at the chance to get on them as a foot in the door. Degree apprenticeships are greatly oversubscribed so they dont really have to sell them. Friends ds just started one with mobile phone service providor. He was very lucky to get on it. over 100 applicants. 4 year degree is overseen by a minor Uni

homebythesea Thu 23-Nov-17 23:32:04

Given she doesn't want to go to Uni I wonder if that would be the right thing for her!! I think I envisaged the low paid tea making model of apprenticeship- a foot in the door, some experience and contacts etc

HeddaGarbled Fri 24-Nov-17 00:18:09

It won't just be tea-making etc. There is a framework and the apprentices will be assessed on set tasks and skills in order to achieve the qualification.

But you are right - you really don't know what the quality of training and support will be like in advance. You can read the PR on the individual companies' websites but it'll just be PR, just like Uni prospectuses.

homebythesea Fri 24-Nov-17 08:54:33

It would at least be helpful for some details on how to apply and where the educational aspect will take place so one could assess the quality of that. I see hours of phone calls to each and every potential employer looming 😩

Lolichi Fri 24-Nov-17 08:59:21

If you’re looking for apprenticeships in England, you can search here:
www.findapprenticeship.service.gov.uk/apprenticeshipsearch

BubblesBuddy Fri 24-Nov-17 09:50:53

I saw on the tv last night that the number of young people on apprenticeships last year was 117,000. This year it’s 59,000. They were trying to find out why here is such a massive drop given the political push to have them and the levy from employers.

The Royal Opera House offers apprenticeships. Other theatres probably do. There are also degrees in such aspects as sound and ighting for the theatre. Be a bit more creative about what degree you are looking for.

homebythesea Fri 24-Nov-17 12:59:50

bubbles it's not the type of degree that's an issue- I agree there are loads relating to this field. It's more that she's not into classroom learning, much more practical and hands on focussed and as such there's no point in spending 3 years racking up debt at Uni fir a course that actually might not put her in any better position in terms of getting a job

homebythesea Fri 24-Nov-17 13:01:03

lolichi thank you. We've looked at that and actually it's not brilliant for the chosen field- it's going direct to company websites where we have seen apprenticeships

BubblesBuddy Sun 26-Nov-17 16:20:53

Some of the degrees are pretty hands on though. I would research everything that’s out there. My DD2 is a bit like this so finding the right avenue is important for their skills to flourish.

Actually I have now seen revised figures that only 48,000 are on apprenticeships this year so goodness knows what has gone wrong. I wonder if some firms just gave up! Having said that, I think the area of training she wants is ultra competitive. It’s the dream of a lot of teenagers to do this.

BubblesBuddy Sun 26-Nov-17 16:24:41

ATG have apprenticeships and The Stage has info on theatre apprenticeships in general. Is there a similar magazine for film?

homebythesea Mon 27-Nov-17 16:47:14

Thanks Bubbles - believe me when I say we are drowning in prospectuses. She really does not want to do any more studying, and we certainly don't want to finance a degree from an establishment which, frankly, is not well thought of by employers. The best route for her is into work - yes, in a competitive field- and it seems we will need to do a lot of spade work to find the info. I will try and pick up a copy of The Stage!

BubblesBuddy Mon 27-Nov-17 20:55:44

It’s difficult isn’t it! Good luck.

katymac Mon 27-Nov-17 21:24:23

Sent you a message homeby

katymac Mon 27-Nov-17 21:27:18

Oh and Rose Burford run vocational stagehand/lighting/set design courses which are very hands on

homebythesea Mon 27-Nov-17 23:59:28

Thanks katymac I've messaged you back. I've had a look at Rose Bruford website and it's worth a think. Thanks, I'd never heard of it before!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: