Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Apprenticeship “prospectus”

(6 Posts)
homebythesea Fri 10-Nov-17 10:04:03

Y12 DD unsure which path to take after school so as well as sending off for Uni prospectuses she would like to learn more about potential apprenticeships in the industry she is interested in. Google tells me that various companies in that industry do have apprenticeship schemes but how do I go about getting some literature about what they entail, what educational element there is etc so she can weigh up the options? All I can see is “Apply now” rather than any further general info

homebythesea Sat 11-Nov-17 14:50:11

Bumping in hopeful anticipation

catslife Sat 11-Nov-17 15:30:41

If you are looking at degree level apprenticeships, there is information on this thread here that you may find helpful.
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/apprenticeships/2996465-Introducing-Degree-Apprenticeships-The-Basics

homebythesea Sat 11-Nov-17 17:08:56

Thanks catslife

rightsaidfrederickII Tue 14-Nov-17 23:15:17

To be honest the literature available can be a bit patchy because
a) degree apprenticeships are so incredibly popular that they don't need to spend money on glossy marketing literature
b) if an employer is doing the promotion of it, the they probably won't be producing glossy literature for any of the other jobs they offer and so such marketing will often be an alien concept
c) if it's the uni / training provider doing the promotion, then they will invariably have several schemes available with different employers, but what they offer can change at breakneck speed (i.e. adding in new employers) and so the literature goes out of date very rapidly.

Due to the brutally competitive nature of degree apprenticeships, if that's what she's thinking of doing I'd strongly suggest putting in a UCAS application too as a plan B.

What's the industry she's interested in working in, and what qualifications is she doing now?

homebythesea Wed 15-Nov-17 23:19:01

Are all post A level apprenticeships called degree apprenticeships now?

She wants to go into theatre/Tv/film production and currently doing 3 A levels. A lot of the major names in this field mention apprenticeships on websites but don't detail what the education aspect will be and where. It's this sort of info, together with eg deadlines for application, info about what application requires etc that seems lacking. It would be good to gather together info and compare just like we would if she was going to apply to Uni.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now